1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to save on Prius dealer service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Karkus, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Karkus

Karkus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Most of you have probably noticed that Toyota dealer service (5k, 15k, etc) is very expensive and includes a bunch of things that aren't listed in the Prius manual or don't even apply to the Prius at all.

Here's a trend I've noticed for Prius service at Toyota dealers:

5k Prius service items are mostly covered by a "quick lube" oil change service
    15k items are mostly covered by a typical 5k Toyota service
    30k items (and even the 60k) are mostly covered by a 15 k Toyota service

So basically I just get the next lower service package and figure out what else needs to be done, and either ask the dealer to add those or do them myself (or ignore them if it's minor and not likely to affect the warranty coverage). The hard part is that they use different terminology so it makes it hard to figure out what you need.

I wouldn't get a dealer 30k, 60k etc. service because there are many (expensive) things included that don't even apply to the Prius, plus a few things that the Prius needs but aren't included.

Has anyone asked a Toyota dealer to specifically do only the items listed in the Prius manual and compared the costs to a package service deal?

2. singingtiger

singingtiger New Member

Two years ago I purchased the pre-paid maintenance five-year 55K plan from Troy via this site. I would again.

First dealer I went to for servicing warned of the high costs for the 15K, 30K etc with all their "required extras".

Next servicing I went to another dealer in a different city and that location did not rotate tires, not inspect car, nor check tire pressure and the usual problem--yes they overfilled oil.

So I found an independent auto repair/service (in Boulder, Colorado) that does exactly what owners request, no more, with great quality and all work is included in my Toyota pre-paid plan.

I will have this independent dealer continue to provide all my service needs.