1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how to self diagnose air conditioner issue. blows cold out of one vent?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Phillip Jones, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Phillip Jones

Phillip Jones New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2008 2nd Generation Toyota Prius with over 200k miles.

the air conditioner stopped blowing cold a couple weeks ago. The weird thing is it blows kinda cold out of one vent: the passenger center vent.

Has anyone experienced this? What does it mean? Can I self diagnose the issue? DIY fix? Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.

tnt0225 likes this.
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Many people (on many different cars) seem to say that that AC system only blows a bit of cold out of passenger side when the AC system just has very little power left.

Most likely you are just down on AC gas. You can check that with AC sight glass: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiOpdyf2rzbAhUFliwKHSr4ATcQFggmMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpriuschat.com%2Fattachments%2Fac-air-conditioning-check-sight-glass-pdf.57256%2F&usg=AOvVaw2swGgZRC30llIpytl9Fsk8

Prius uses the special oil in AC system. And the system gets ruined if contaminated with wrong oil. So you need to bring it to a shop that knows what they are doing.

tnt0225 and SFO like this.
  3. scottberggren

scottberggren Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm, that's interesting. I'm assuming that you're saying that air blows out of all vents, but only the passenger center vent is cold. If that's the case I'd agree with the prior post. I'd have the system checked for charge, and make sure they know about hybrid systems because there are some critical differences from other systems.

If only the one vent is blowing at all then I'd be inclined to think it's a bad door in the system, but that's a less likely scenario (only one vent has air coming out).