1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to ship vehicle "title"

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by darelldd, Feb 9, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Howdy -

I just sold a vehicle (to help finance the Prius!) and the buyer will ship it from CA to GA. When he has paid in full, he wants me to send him the title to the vehicle. Does anybody have any suggestions on how best to do that? Certified mail? Fed Ex? Any idea what happens if it is lost?

Maybe I'm just being too paranoid, but it does freak me out a bit to send this original, important doc ocross the country.

Thanks for any input.

2. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Send it FexEx overnight. I couldn't find my title to my truck when I sold it and just went down to DMV with ID and got another for $10.00 on the spot. The new voids the old one. Once you have the money (cash- whatever kind of check was cashed and funds were there to cover), ask the buyer how he wants it sent. It becomes his problem.

3. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey, thanks Koa. That puts my mind at ease all the way around. It will still be my problem if it is lost though, as I'm the one who has to go stand in line at the DMV to get a new one... but it is nice to know it isn't a huge deal.

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would definitely do FedEx that way you can retain tracking information and the item will possibly get to its destination quicker. Luckily the buyer for my previous vehicle (Saturn) is local, and stopping by tonight to trade the cash for the title/vehicle.

5. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You probably already know/did this, don't forget to cancel insurance and send in the change of ownership form (if your state has one). It's also good to see an ID to make sure it matches the buyer. I also wrote the time by the date to cover any buyer's accident on the date of sale.

6. jef

jef New Member

Inglewood (Los Angeles county), California
    It's cool that the Hawai'i DMV will give you an instant title certificate. In California, they mail them, even if you go to the DMV in person, and it takes a few weeks. But then it only costs $16 here. :) When I did this a few weeks ago, the DMV clerk told me that because I had ordered a new title, the old one was void.

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm glad to see something is cheaper in Hawaii!

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Insurance will definitely be canceled and liability release form will be sent. No problem there! Matching the ID will be tough though as I'll never be meeting the buyer. The truck will still be parked in my driveway when I mail off the title.

9. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm glad so many PCers are suggesting FedEx. It helps with the twice a month direct deposit into my bank account. :D

You definitely want to use a method that lets you track it along the way. (In my "slightly" biased opinion FedEx excels in this.)

Be careful with the payment you receive. It may look good and your bank may seem to accept it on the spot only to learn later that it is fake and you don't get the funds.

10. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would say the same, make sure your bank will actually accept the check and put cash in your account before you send the car. There is a lot a scam's online, my friend was bombarded with scam attemts when he tried to sell his corrolla (thogh most of them came from abroad).

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for all the advice, folks. Funds should be here Tuesday...

Now... where's my prius?