1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to source and install a used HV Battery for a 2006 Toyota Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jill GK, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Jill GK

Jill GK New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was driving my 202,000 mile 2006 Prius two days ago when the red triangle, vlc, brake and engine lights all came on. The car made it home. Today the car turns on and the engine runs for about 30 seconds before turning off, the car won't drive at all only letting me go into neutral. All signs pointing to needing to replace the HV battery. As far as I know it has never been replaced (bought used and no indication in the repair records).

I'm hesitant to put a new battery, but i don't know where to start with sourcing and getting an HV battery installed. Located in Chicago - has anyone in this area had luck with dropping in a used HV battery?

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the lights are on, there are trouble codes set pointing to the issue. Since many code readers cannot read the Prius-specific cods, people sometimes pay a dealer to read the codes with their software.

If the codes point to the HV battery and you are DIY, the kit of new cells from @2k1Toaster could be a good deal at $1600 including shipping.
    Used batteries are generally troublesome for the same reason yours has failed. The modules start failing and the pack gets out of balance due to age and use.

@TMR-JWAP has done a lot of battery testing with used and "remanufactured" batteries.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty sure @ericbecky is your best resource in relation to proximity (without extolling his other virtues). Of course @strawbrad might also be able to offer you some viable options, and he isn't much farther away. And needless to say, many would be overjoyed at the prospect of picking up an offering from @TMR-JWAP .

How much were you looking to invest in this fine vehicle of yours?

Now is also a good time to register your VIN with http://toyota.com/owners if you haven't already.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jill GK,
    Feel free to call and discuss things on the phone with me any time.
    Happy to go through options.

Raytheeagle, TMR-JWAP and SFO like this.