1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to start the car with key only...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Juduth GArland, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Juduth GArland

Juduth GArland New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Today I went swimming forgetting that the smart key was in my pocket. I mistakenly thought the unit would be sealed and would work when I got to my car. It did not respond when I tried to unlock the car, so I pulled out the little emergency key to unlock the doors. At first one dash indicator showed that the key was in the car (literally the icon), but then when I tried to start the car, the neighboring icon showed that there was no key present.

I formulated a plan with my friend to get a cab and then tried to start it again. The car obviously knew the fob was in there. Once I replaced the emergency key back into the fob and placed the key in the slot near the steering wheel, it started. I don't know if it just dried out enough or....

Is there any way to start the car with just the emergency key (EK)?
    Must the EK be placed in fob for the car to start?
    I usually start my car with the fob in the cup holder or in my pocket so it was curious to me that it wouldn't start without being placed in the slot.

Can anyone answer these question and shed some light on this. As it was today, I felt I could not even call emergency road service because they would not know what to do either, except tow the car.
    Thanks.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The metal key will only open the door, nothing else. You have the SKS system, and it is normal for a wet or laundered fob to not work. They do dry out, but I would suggest some mild heat (leave it in the sun for a few hours) to completely dry it. Pull off at least one of the rubber buttons to speed the process and let air in. If you find that the SKS does not work, using the fob in the dash socket might work, or might not, depending on how soaked it is.