1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to store a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rose Bell, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Rose Bell

Rose Bell New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm preparing to head out of the country for a year and will be storing my 2005 Prius in a friend's garage while away. Can anyone give me advice on any steps I should take in storing my Prius? Will the battery die if I leave it sitting for a year? If so, should I get a trickle charger?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
    :) Rose

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. The 12V battery should be fully charged, then disconnected, prior to storage.

2. Hopefully the traction battery will last for a year without a problem. It would be better if you could get your friend to start the Prius and leave READY for 30 minutes, at least once every two months. The purpose of that is to charge the traction battery. However this would require your friend to reconnect the 12V battery, or else use a battery charger on it 2x per month to keep the 12V battery charged up.

3. You should have the engine oil and filter changed prior to storage, and inflate the tires to maximum cold pressure per the tire sidewalls - typically 44 psi.

HaroldW likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sell this Prius, Buy a Prius a year from now.

Or tell your friend to drive it once a week.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with JimboPalmer.

Sell the Prius and get a different one when you come back. Letting a traditional vehicle set in storage for a year is not too bad if you prep it right. But with the batteries involved in the Prius, it becomes a whole new ball of wax. The deal breaker would be the "traction battery". If that goes down, it may cause problems when you return from your trip.

That is why Patrick Wong wrote what he did.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Ron (dorunron)