1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to tell if headlights are HID?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pzer0, Jan 5, 2013.

1. pzer0

pzer0 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius and my driver's side headlight is out. From what I've read, the HID lights are difficult to replace. How do I tell what kind of headlight I have? I want to make sure I am getting the correct replacement bulb.

Thanks!

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have a friend change from high beam to low beam and back while you watch. Or you can use a long stick to push the headlight lever while standing in front of the car. If you have HID, the high to low beam is accomplished with a moving mirror that changes the focus, rather than lighting up a different filament in the bulb.

Sometimes by powering the lights on and off quickly, you can get the bad bulb to come on for a while, which is also a sign of a failing HID.

3. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think if you have fog lights you have HIDS.

4. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do u have fog lights? The HID Prius comes with fog lights. Another way to check is to see if the headlight stalk has the fog light switch. The reason I suggest this is because if this is a used Prius, the previous owner might have installed fogs but most would not go through the trouble of installing the oem stalk switch. They would put a switch in the blank on the dash.

5. shawn davidson

shawn davidson New Member

Vehicle:
    2000 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do u have fog light , Do you have Led running lights? Headlight washers? Halogens glow yellow, xenons look more like white. If you have fog lights then I think you might be having HIDS lights.

Get the best cheap hid kits

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The simple way to tell if you have HID lamps is to turn them on when it's dark, if they flash once and then come on dim brightening up in about 5 seconds you have HID's.