1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to tell if the inverter pump/coolant reservoir is bad??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by recycleman, Aug 25, 2011.

1. recycleman

recycleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I've been reading some people experience a drop in MPG after the recall.
    How do you know if the inverter coolant pump/reservoir is bad after the recall was performed?Since it doesn't produce any codes but can reduce the electric-drive if getting too hot, how do you convince Toyota to give it a second look?Thanks!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you see movement in the coolant reservioir, the pump is working (while the car is in Ready). If not, they need to take a look. Why do you think there's a problem?

You can always ask them to look at it, but if they don't find anything you'll be out of pocket the diagnostic codes.

It's possible you're running a bit hot if you're running the AC a lot here in the summer and your battery performance could be down a bit b/c of that, but if you're really getting excessively hot you should be generating codes and having all sorts of warning lights.

3. recycleman

recycleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks efusco. So it's either moving or not moving. Can there be air pockets or bad pumps that do not work 100% or the flow is "weak?"

Thanks again.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably, but I've not really heard of that. Mine was a catastrophic failure over a period of about 2 days.

5. recycleman

recycleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I checked and I see "bubbling" or I guess movement. If the dealer tech failed to adequately purge air from the coolant loop, would I still see adequate movement or wouldn't be able to tell?

6. recycleman

recycleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reading more posts. I'm going to try and "purge" the system tonight the correct way(bleeder valve) to see if there was any air pockets. Coolant level was high also when it was open and then went down but there were bubbles.