1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how to tell if the tires are touring?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by wfz, Nov 13, 2011.

1. wfz

wfz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have this 2nd hand 2008 Prius for a few months now. I planned to have the tires replaced at Costco. They told me my tires are touring and they don't have them in stock. I looked at the tires and door and could't find anything with touring on it. How can I tell if tires are touring?

Based on the numbers on the tires and door:
    195 55R16 240kPa

Is it based on the numbers here to tell if it's touring? What are the specs for regular ones?

Thanks,

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The person at Costco was overwhelmed with their duties... was their name Peter?

Anyway, what tires are on the vehicle, you don't list your location, are you after winter or summer tires?
    If winter, Nokian Hakkapelitta (5-7?) are your best bet, if summer tires, a nice Michelin "green" tire is in order, you can buy them from discount tire or tire rack online, or negotiate with the gentleman at Costco, but do look at the tire rack's choices and go informed to Peter...

1 person likes this.
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Touring came with 16 inch rims, the 'regular' Prius had 15 inch rims. Yours are 16" according to the tire info you gave so yours is touring.

1 person likes this.
  4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    2 people like this.
  5. wfz

wfz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info, ursle. Thanks for the infor on touring and links to the data, Paradox and Seilerts.
    Costco tires department is great. Courteous and professional; because I didn't know my tires, and told them the wrong info. They located me in the store and explained (didn't complain) right after finding the tires mismatch.
    I'm looking for all-season as I live in PA and travel to MD too. Snow isn't that bad. I originally wanted to replace the old ones with Bridgestone Ecopia EP422. That seems to be good one and affordable based on reviews and posts here. If I buy something myself and have Costco installing it, there is no warranty from them.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you get postcards from them it is generally a good indication.

Tom

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    . . . and your spoiler sticks out a couple inches farther.