1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to tell if Thermostat is bad (stuck)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KSW144, Dec 31, 2013.

1. KSW144

KSW144 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello Everyone,

I've been a lurker on here for a couple years now. I can usually find the answers to my questions just using a google search, and then prowling around the answers that come up.

I am currently suspicious of my thermostat, and can't find a way of finding out how to tell with the Prius. I know that a standard car temp will get up to the T-stat temp, and then level out there, any significant fluctuation beyond that will indicate the tstat needs replaced.

But with the Prius cycling on and off I can't tell what the normal operating range should be.

Mine in normal city driving will maintain about 180 degrees. On a trip over a 4500 foot pass to Central Oregon, I saw a maintained 180-195, with the grill blocked, I saw a max of about 203 on the longest steepest elevation gains. The temp maintained a pretty good 190-ish the majority of the trip.

I have seen a more significant fuel mileage drop this winter after putting my studded tires on, than I did last year. I blocked the grill and took it for a drive. I saw the temps in city driving only reach about 160 degrees, which is what I have seen pre-grill blocking also. With the heater running, and car stopped, the temp dropped to 140 degrees, the ICE kicked on, and maintained 140, but didn't go above that.

Are these normal temperature ranges? I would think the temperature would be higher than that, and the ICE would bring the temp up to operating temperature fairly quickly after it had dropped.

Thanks!

Kyle

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I monitor our temps (with ScanGauge), and especially in winter, it's rare that temps make it to the peak (190 deg C) zone. The only time I'll see peak temps is on a protracted uphill climb, like going up a local ski hill, for example.

Your temperatures seem normal to me, but I'n not an expert. I did experience a thermostat failure on a previous car, and the symptom was abnormally low temperatures after protracted freeway drive: the thermostat was stuck in the open position, allowing full cooling all the time.

3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Testing the temp during city driving with the heater on is not a good idea. Get on the highway and see what it does, preferably with the heater off (you can heat it up going to the freeway). Doing it in city likely won't tell you anything.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The OP's reported engine temps are normal. I would suggest to the OP that grill blocking should be removed when calling upon the Prius to climb mountainous terrain. 203 degrees F is above normal operating temps.

The thermostat opens at 82 degrees C which is 180 degrees F. However the Prius engine is so small and efficient that in the winter the engine temp may remain below 180 degrees F, especially if cabin heat is turned on (as engine heat will be dissipated via the cabin heater core) which of course means that the thermostat will stay closed and fluid will not circulate through the radiator.

The Prius heater assembly even includes two PTC electric heaters to supplement the heat produced by the engine, since the cabin heat produced by the engine can be marginal depending upon ambient temps and operating load on the engine. I believe the two electric heaters can produce around 600W which is 40% of the capacity of a typical hair dryer.

If the OP wants to replace the engine thermostat, please see my thread here:
    How to replace engine coolant pump and thermostat | PriusChat

5. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If the original poster has been a careful observer and the behavior has changed, perhaps the thermostat is failing to close fully.

After several years of suspecting that the thermostat on my 2002 Audi A4 was no longer closing fully I finally had it replaced the summer. Continued careful observation of my scan gauge reported coolant temperatures and the behavior of the cabin heating very clearly confirmed that the new thermostat allowed substantially faster coolant and cabin heating in all conditions but especially in colder weather. The hot weather stabilized running temperature average was unchanged, though the detailed "waveform" around that average changed appreciably.

I certainly don't know what the usual failure modes of automobile thermostats are, but from observation it appeared that the primary abnormality in the last few years of my faulty A4 thermostat was a substantial "leak" passing through the thermostat when it should have been fully closed.

On balance, it seems plausible to me that the original poster has a thermostat currently in the same general failure mode.

Is there an accepted user test which can detect excess off-state thermostat coolant "leakage"?

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think you have mistakenly put (190 deg C) instead of (190 deg F)

John (Britprius)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The test would be to remove the thermostat and see if it remains closed at a temp below 82 degrees C, then opens at that temp.

However if you are going to the trouble of removing the thermostat, you'd might as well replace it.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Your observations sound normal, not giving me any impression it's not working right.

I watch coolant temp closely. Dealing with conditions outside way, way below zero, monitoring when heat is actually available helps. No sense craving the heater when all you'll get us cool air. But if the coolant temp is, might as well take full advantage.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh woops. Yes, well: centigrade works out about the same, fully warmed being around 90~93 degrees Centigrade, but NOT 190~193, LOL.

10. KSW144

KSW144 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone for all the great responses! After reviewing all of your input, and watching it much more carefully for a few more trips. I'm pretty confident it's working just fine. I will pull one of my grill blocks off, just so the engine doesn't continue to creep up to the 200+ mark while we're over here. I'll put it back in when we get home.

I'm amazed at how much there is to learn about this little car, especially when I thought I had it mostly figured out :)

11. bikersmurf

bikersmurf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thought I’d add to an old post. After 25 minutes driving I’d not broken 130* with the heat off. It was 50* outside, but the ice never shut off a stops. The result was 31 mpg on LRR tires... even when being careful.

The water pump was weeping so it made sense to replace the thermostat at the same time. After swapping both for new, mpg has gone up to 38+ mpg. 7 mpg for replacing a $10 part seems worthwhile. I suspect it’s been bad for years, it has dramatically changed how the engine runs.

Next up... reconditioning the traction battery to restore lost capacity...