1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to tell what package is on a used Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wdfoto, Feb 26, 2005.

1. wdfoto

wdfoto New Member

I am new to this forum and need a little help. When looking at a used Prius how does one know what package in on the car?
    Is there any code in the vin number?
    What are some things to look for?
    Thanks
    wdfoto

2. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    wdfoto, hope this helps..

2004 Prius with side air bags start with JTDKB20U

Position #9 is the check digit.

Position #10 is the model year. (4 for a 2004 MY)

Position #11 is the assembly plant (strangely on all Prius it should be 0)

Position #12-17 is the individual car's serial number

3. DanH

DanH New Member

I think you can get pretty close by using the process of elimination with a brochure and walking around the car. (I did this with a couple at the local dealer.) If have someone showing you the car in the inside, you'll even be able to get more information as if the car has NAV or the SKS.

Walking around the car you should be able to determine if the car has the HID headlamps, rear wiper, homelink mirror, and maybe be able to peak in and easily see the 'JBL' on the stereo somewhere if it has that. THere might even be some noticeable buttons for the one with NAV. (The BC folks can fill me in on this.)

Here's what I was able to determine with the used cars I saw in the lot without a dealer bugging me... They had no rear wiper and I also noticed normal headlights. This was easy as this is only one 2004 package without the rear wiper and that is the GY package. BTW, they wanted $25,500 for these cars. :eek: To quote a common phase used these days that would apply;"These boys are on crack!"

4. tag

tag Senior Member

Yes, if you look inside the car at the MFD and see a total of 4 buttons, you KNOW it doesn't have NAV (see pic below). Prius with NAV have 4 buttons on the left side of the display and 3 buttons on the right side.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    [I believe this is the best way to visually tell what model a Prius is without deciphering VIN. If any mistakes let me know]

2005 Models: (2004 Models carried over to 2005 without change have an asterisk *)

BC & AM are the only models with VSC, fog & HID lights. (Easier to look for fog lights than HID.)

BC* = (Fully Loaded Model) Has symmetrical steering wheel buttons on left and right.
    AM* = (Safety Model) Steering wheel not symmetrical.

AI = (Good Sounds Model) No fog lights, steering wheel not symmetrical, but has center speaker above MFD.

AG* = (No side airbags) No fog lights and no center speaker, but has HomeLink mirror.

BI* = (Side airbags & Smart Key) No fog lights, no HomeLink mirror, but has black button on front door handles.

GY = (Base model with side air bags) No black button on front door handles.

All except AG has Side airbags.
    All except GY has Smart Key.
    All have rear wiper.

Discontinued 2004 models:

BG = (Nav but no safety) No fog lights, but symmetrical steering wheel

AF = (Same as 2005 GY)

GY = (Side airbags only) Only model Prius with no rear wiper.

RW = (Base model with rear wiper only) No fog lights, no black button on front door handle, no side air bags (hard to see from exterior)

AI = Same as 2005 AI, except no black button on front door handles (no Smart Key)

6. wdfoto

wdfoto New Member

Thanks for all the help. My head is really spinning now.