1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to tell which parts of exterior are plastic?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusBadass, Jul 5, 2019.

1. PriusBadass

PriusBadass New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is probably a really dumb question, but whatever.

How do I tell which parts of my car's exterior are plastic?
    I have some scratches and I'm not sure if they will cause rust in the future or not.
    Are just the main body panels not plastic?
    One particular scratch is underneath the door panel.

Also, are there any alternative options to resolving a deep scratch other than repainting -- in order to prevent rust from forming in the future.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Use a magnet. (Won’t work on aluminium pieces but the hood and hatch are aluminium).

Generally the bumpers are plastic, the doors are steel and the hood and hatch are aluminium on the Prius.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    See the Collision Repair Manual (more info), under General: Introduction: About This Vehicle: Exterior Resin Parts and Resin Characteristics, in the section “The Plastic Body Parts Material List,” which has an illustration.
    Not really; if the scratch goes through the base coat (primer) to expose steel underneath, painting, at least with primer, is the only way to restore the corrosion protection. The technique depends on the quality of the finish required; for a highly-visible part, sanding, masking, and painting in a spray booth would be preferred, but a small scratch in a hidden area could be treated with brush-on touch-up paint, available at dealers. Consumer Reports reviewed scratch repair pens and found them unsuitable for deep scratches.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a gash on my front passenger door from a careless person who must’ve let their door swing open. Definitely down to the primer :(. Gonna have to get it repaired.