1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to tell you are not getting another 2010 used motor

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by johnnychimpo, Dec 27, 2020.

1. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2010 just got a P0301 & P0302 losing cooling quick. New plugs etc.. The coolant loss is the dead give away. My conclusion is leaking head gasket. I intend to install a new motor as this one has 178k and used ones from japan have 40 to 60. Now new head gasket costs 800 to 1600 and a used motor is 1300 shipped and something like 7 to 8 hundred in labor to slap it in. so the question is how can we tell you are not getting another 2010 motor from japan. Im looking to get one from ebay JDM is the seller and the motor is 2ZR.
    Can someone confirm the motor model or if you have been down this road please share your experiance.
    One last thing I just caught this and only put like 30 miles on it without understanding what was going on since it has sat in the drive way.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In the US market anyway, the engine will have a VIN plate securely riveted to it (thank you for not buying one where the plate has been removed or scratched out), and you can use the year position of the VIN to find out how old it is (or even look up carfax, etc., history for that VIN).

I don't know what identifying number would be on a JDM engine though.

3. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think all Prius are made in Japan, so maybe all the same codes?

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    All Prius engines are made in Japan, but they are only required to stamp USA-legal VIN numbers on the cars destined to be sold in America. I'm not sure they're required to put them on the engines, to be honest.

There will be other numbers on the engine casting which Toyota can use to figure out when and where the engine was produced. However, Toyota is under no obligation to tell the public how to decipher those codes because that is their internal numbering system and not a federally regulated statement.

The real answer:

Buy from a known and respected autoparts recycler. Most of what they sell isn't dated or marked, but they have to sell good parts today to have a job tomorrow, and most of them take this very seriously.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's the riveted-on plate where you'll find the VIN (if the engine was built for the US market).

[​IMG]

As always, thank you for not buying an engine with the plate removed or scratched out.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    upload_2020-12-29_11-16-10.png

For orientation, I think you're around back of the engine, near the passenger end (aka front) of the engine, looking forward horizontally, and the flagged component is the (beltless) pulley on the end of the driveshaft.