1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to turn off the front passenger airbag only

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by seeh2o, Sep 27, 2007.

1. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    This is for a road trip we will be taking next weekend. I have a new dog (a former racing greyhound) that takes up so much room that he needs the entire back seat. I need to put my other dog in the front seat (both dogs are secured with the seatbelt harness). I've heard too many bad stories about airbags and small people and dogs being killed or injured from the front airbag and am wondering if there is a way to temporarily turn it off for the duration of our road trip.

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Under the passenger seat you'll find three wiring harnesses. One of them is for the four sensors to detect if there's someone (or some dog) in the seat. Disconnect that harness and you'll be good to go. The only side effect is that the dashboard will show some icon (can't remember which one). But you can simply ignore it.

I've taken my passenger seat out before, and that pretty much disabled the passenger airbag sensors.

3. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Do you know which one of the four I should disconnect? And, are the connections visible from the front or the back of the passenger seat?

Thanks!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Sep 27 2007, 07:42 PM) [snapback]518818[/snapback]</div>

4. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The harness is connected to four sensors situated at the four corners under the seat (the manual actually has a diagram showing where these sensors are located). When I took the seat out, I did look at these harnesses, but now I can't remember for sure which one is the airbag sensor one, and I don't want to tell you the wrong one.

The best way to find it, IMO, is to unscrew the four floor bolts then lean the seat backward to expose its underside. You can then VERY easily figure out which harness it is by tracing the wires. To release the plastic harness, a small flathead screwdriver would be very helpful.

5. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think I found it. This is a picture I took while I had the passenger seat leaned back.
    There are four wiring harnesses under the passenger seat (only three on the driver side).
    The grey harness on the right (still plugged in) is the one connected to the four sensors.

[attachmentid=11726]

To test this, what you can do is unplug this harness then turn the car on to see if there's a red
    "No Airbag" icon on your regular dashboard. Also, put something heavy in the front seat (like your dog)
    and see if the passenger Airbag light comes on. If it doesn't then that means you've disconnected
    the right plug.

Attached Files:

6. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    You're great, thank so much. I know what my project for the weekend is...prep!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Sep 27 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]518868[/snapback]</div>