1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to turn on A/c without pressing the break?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by osa, Mar 19, 2011.

1. osa

osa New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried to find an answer on the forum, but there is none. I guess everybody but me figured this one out.

Before putting the kid in the car seat I like to turn on the a/c (in my previous car I would open the passenger side front door and turn the key). According to the manual, pushing the Start button twice will activate all the electrical. But no cold air is coming out in my Prius, just fan. Not till I depress the break.

Really inconvenient as I live in a deserted AZ and going to the driver's side, pressing the break while holding the toddler by the hand and then going back to the passenger side seems to be the only way to avoid unnecessary discomfort for my kiddo.

Is there any way I can start A/C without depressing the break?? Please help!

2. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No way.
    Prius has to be in READY mode to activate the A/C.

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ken, it's good to hear from you considering the recent events in Japan. Are you and your family OK? Did you suffer much damage from the earthquake or the tsunami in Yokohama?

The situation in Japan is receiving a lot of coverage on the news here but most of the talk concerns the very hard hit regions along the Northeast coast.

4. FLteacher

FLteacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My FOB has a button to turn on the air before I enter, but I also have the solar roof. I wonder if this option (the air, not the solar roof) could be added on.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since you have the solar roof option you should already have remote air conditioning, according to the options list it is part of the solar roof package. I can't verify that because my car is not equipped with a solar roof option.

According to the owner's manual (pages 285-287) the button on the fob should activate the air conditoning for 3 minutes if the other requirements are met.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    OSA, don't get too excited about the remote a/c option (even if you could somehow get it added on). The activation range is short PLUS it turns off the instant you open a door. The solar roof venting is more effective.

I believe some have been able to add an aftermarket remote start which have a much greater range. If you leave the air con on, then it should activate.

7. FLteacher

FLteacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you. Yes, you're right. I have it. I was just letting the OP know that it could probably be added on to his.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's brake, not break -- part of my ongoing effort to correct this very common mistake.

So what happened to all of the people?

:D

Tom

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Off somewhere eating dessert?

1 person likes this.
  10. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Correct me if I'm wrong but you cannot run the a/c on ANY vehicle if the ICE isn't running. Accessory mode in Prius is basically same as any other car. Compressor won't work in acc mode.

I'd look into the remote starter option if you want to turn car on without hitting the brake.

11. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They are in the dessert eating desert. :p

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Give me a brake. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The AC compressor on the 2nd gen Prius and beyond is electrically driven. The ICE does NOT need to be running for the AC to run. But, still, the only options are the remote AC w/the solar roof option or being in READY mode. ACC doesn't cut it.

1 person likes this.
  14. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No. It is a safety feature. Pressing Power twice with your foot off the brake pedal puts the car into IG-On mode, which does not activate the A/C compressor (powered by the HV battery/inverter, not by the 12V battery system). You need to be in the Ready mode to connect the HV battery and power the A/C compressor.

15. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks cwerdna..I forgot the a/c works when in stealth mode (hence no ice on).
    Unlike Honda hybrid - correct?

16. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How is it a safety feature ?

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is unsafe for the ICE to turn on when humans are not aware it is ON and those who are aware are not there to see risks. The remote A/C only runs for 3 minutes so not to run down the HV battery, as it cannot turn on the ICE ,for safety. Remote on is not a Toyota feature, but aftermarket, as Toyota does not want the liability.

18. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP already pressed the START button not once but twice. Isn't that a good enough indication that the car should start running ?
    Normal ICE vehicles will keep the engine running once the driver starts it, no difference here. What's the additional liability beyond what's already present for , say, Toyota Corolla drivers ?

This START on/off button business is getting too complicated, almost Microsoft Windows like.

19. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Power button must be pushed when the brake pedal is depressed to put the car into the Ready mode. Only when the car is in Ready can you drive it and only in Ready will the ICE run if need. If you push the Power button once without the brake pedal depressed it goes into the ACC mode, if you push Power twice without the brake depressed (which the OP was talking about) it goes into the ON mode which means it only has power from the 12V battery not the hybrid battery, so it really isn't on in ON. Very simple, actually more like Linux than Windows.

20. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The brake pedal must be depressed to go into Ready mode, analogous to how the brake pedal must be depressed to shift from P to any gear in a conventional automatic transmission.