1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to use Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by glscheil1, Nov 30, 2003.

1. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

Bluetooth with Option 9. I have activated bluetooth in my phone but have not tried top use it yet. What do I have to do to make and answer calls.

2. rreb

rreb New Member

I'm jealous - couldn't find a car with option 9 and while the nav is cool, it was the blue tooth that I wanted. I use the phone alot in the car however my wife is one of those walk and chew gum folks that almost refuses to talk while driving .... I'm told that the setup is intuitive but won't find out until I purchase my next prius?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all, read your manuals. The NAV manual with your Prius has the basic information for getting your phone to communicate with your car. It's really pretty easy and automatic. There are some things you need to do from the phone side, but that will be in the phone's manual and varies by the type of Bluetooth phone you have.

One of the more important things, I think, to know is how to put the names and numbers into your phone.

The phone book in the Prius will only show 9 characters. Also, when you upload your phonebook from your phone it will only upload one phone number per listing. So, when you type in the names and numbers you should abreviate:
    If you type in a listing Fusco Tamara and then list her home, cell, pager, & work numbers all under that listing what you'll get in the Prius listing is:
    Fusco Tam and ONE of the phone numbers (not sure if it's the first one or chosen randomly or what).

So, instead you should make seperate listings for each number
    Fusco T C (for Fusco Tamara Cell phone) and the number
    Fusco T H (for home)
    Fusco T W (for work)

Then, when you upload the phone book all the numbers will be uploaded and you'll be able to tell them apart.

You do have to manually upload the numbers into the prius phone book, this is not an automatic process. If you add a new number to the cell you'll need to upload that. The process for this is easy and will be in your cell phone book or you can just figure it out in most cases.

Another important thing to note. You can not dial a number from the phone book or from the phone number pad in the Prius while it is in motion. You can, however, dial numbers from the 1-Touch list which can store 18 numbers. Once you've uploaded your numbers into the prius from your cell phone you should go in and program your 1-Touch numbers right away with the numbers you call most often so that you can easily access them when you're actually driving.

Good luck--I really love my Bluetooth capability---one of the best features in this car.
    --evan

4. Mitchla

Mitchla New Member

Bluetooth, phone books, and Macs

Have any Mac owners devised a bluetooth strategy for syncing their Mac Address Book > cell phone > Prius, given the limitation of the Prius only being able to store one phone number per name? Since I have hundreds of names with multiple phone numbers, it would be a drag to have to split those all up into multiple records.

5. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

Evan: I have a Siemen's S56 phone. I have no long addresses but I have 24 numbers in my phone book. Names are short and no duplicates. I am not too knowledgable with technical instructions and that's why I was considering toyota dealer to do it for me. The quick instructions only refer to a Nokia 6310i and Sony Erickson T608/T610 and how to install those models. Do you feel my Siemen's S56 can be installed easily. I have already put the phone in Bluetooth Connectivity. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? [/b]

6. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

I was at the dealer today and one of their sales staff who had been sent to California for one-on-one training got my phone installed in the Navigation screen, after many attempts. He was, however, not able to get my phone list or address book transferred to the screen. I was in a hurry and left,telling him to study it more. He says the transferring of the phone list is accomplished by following instructions that came with my phone. He got about half way through with it but could never get the phone to send the list to the screen. I can however, make manual calls through the screen.

I'll try it again later but wish someone with a Siemens S56 phone would tell me how they did it. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't mean to ignore your posts...I don't have and am not at all familiar with your particular phone and thus can't give specific help.

I can tell you that the transfer of numbers from phone to prius is initiated from the phone. I think if you poke around on the various settings under either phonebook or Bluetooth you'll find something that says transfer that will allow you to do just that.

If you still can't find it I'd contact your phone supplier and see if they know how to transfer the numbers via bluetooth.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We should start putting together some FAQs on getting Bluetooth to work with the various phone models out there. If you happen to be synching your phone with your car and can write down a detailed description on how you did it, I think that would be very appreciated by the community and we can post them here on Priuschat.

10. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

I originally got a message from John at [email protected] as to how to transfer the phonebook but I am still having trouble sending phonebook to the Prius. If I ever get it straightned out, will post the instructions.

11. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

I received instruction how to transfer my phonebook from my Siemen's S56 phone and have tried to do it several times without any luck.

I think I will give up on this! :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    George,
    You've gotten lots of helpful and very very specific instructions on how to do this upload from here and from the 2004-YG where I've followed the posts in regards to your phone. I'm sorry you're having difficulty, but you need to go back to your dealer and make him sit in your car until you guys figure out how to successfully upload your phone list. The Bluetooth phone is my second favorite feature of the #9 package (behind the SE/S). It would be a huge shame to surrender the full utility of the feature for no good reason.

We know it works with that phone as others have successfully done so. It is likely that you're making one small mistake in the process of uploading and that's all that's causing trouble.

I don't know of anyone specifically in the KC area with a Prius or I'd suggest you hook up with them, but this is really something your dealer is responsible for helping you get figured out.

At the very least I think you should type put down, in this thread, the exact step by step instructions that you've been following. That will serve two purposes: 1) it will allow us to see if there is a mistake in the process you're following and 2) it will allow others to use those instructions for that exact phone in the future.

Don't give up, good luck.

13. Mitchla

Mitchla New Member

Evan, you seem to be the man in the Bluetooth realm. I won't have a BT phone for another month when my contract is up for renewal but I'm trying to start organizing the data in my Mac's phonebook.

Regarding the 9 character limit in the Prius phonebook: When I sync my Mac phonebook to my future Sony 616 it will presumably send over the first and last names as they appear in my Mac. In your example, you list the Prius phone book displaying last name first. Is that the way the Prius imports it?

So if I have George Smith in my phone will it end up in the Pius as George Sm, or Smith Geo?

Thanks.

14. Mike N

Mike N New Member

Is there a list someplace of which phones with bluetooth will work with the Prius. I have a Motorola 270c with the add-on bluetooth module that does not find the Prius on scanning. Does anybody have experience with the Sony/Ericsson 608 with the patch for use on Verizon?

15. mboileau

mboileau New Member

There's a link for the phone compatibility list on the Bluetooth page accessiblew from the Toyota Prius page. Ultimately, you end up on toyota.letstalk.com which shows you exactly what phones are known to work with the Prius in your specific zip code area, which is a key point. After all, unless you're planning on moving, the compatible phone had better be available in your area.

I have the #9 package and bought a Sony-Ericsson T616 from Cingular. FYI, this is also sold as the T610 through T-Mobile. The setup and transfer info is published on the web and can easily be found with a simple search.

For your particular bluetooth phone, if it's not this model, things to look for when figuring out how to this are:
    1. Make sure your phone's bluetooth interface is turned on. On the T616, only the GRPS and GSM capability is enabled by default. Bluetooth and IR have to be activated in the Settings menu. Make sure your particular phone doesn't turn it off automatically after some length of time to conserve battery power.
    2. Once the phone's bluetooth is activated, follow the published instructions to have the Prius search for a bluetooth device. If found, the Prius will tell you to enter the passkey (default is 1212). The phone should automatically respond to the connection and prompt you for the passkey. Completing the connection and setup may take a minute or two, so don't do anything further until prompted. Save off this connection on your phone for future automatic startup. On the T616, it defaults to MY HANDSFREE.
    3. To transfer the phone book, follow the on-screen instructions in the Prius' Settings screen to prepare for receiving the transfer. On the T616, you start the transfer from Phonebook/Advanced/Send All/Via Bluetooth. This seems to take an extremely long time, but does work eventually. For other phones, I would expect a similar menu structure.

Note that although the on-screen phone controls are disabled while driving, except for 1-touch calling, the keypad on your actual phone is still naturally active. If I need to manually dial a number while driving, I simply key it in on the handset and then hit Send. The wonders of auto-muting the stereo and using the car's speakers and microphone are still enabled. I expect that the voice dialing would work as well, but haven't actually tried it yet.

One last note... There's a Jabra Freespeak Handsfree kit for non-Bluetooth mobile phones that retails for around $179. Since the Prius is actually just a big handsfree device, it may be possible to connect the phone-side bluetooth transceiver supplied in the kit without their earpiece and have the Prius identify it as a 'bluetooth phone'. I'd be interested to know if anyone's tried this....

16. jblue

jblue New Member

I have been having intermittent problems with "Bluetooth Connection Failed" messages.

At first the phone (a Sony Ericsson Model T608 from Sprint) worked reliability. Then it ceased connecting at all. I deleted the phone from the car's system and then re-registered it. A few of the connection failures occured when the battery on the phone was a bit low. But now about 25-50% of the time the phone won't connect with the car.

Ideas?

17. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I have the T616 from Cingular (same as T610 from T-Mobile). This model is next step up from the T608. I don't have the connection problems that you have even when the phone is in its leather case in my jacket pocket. Since Bluetooth transceivers are supposed to work up to about 30 feet, I'd say it's either your particular piece of equipment or that model's signal strength isn't as good. I'd be sure that you have the phone in your hand, outside of any kind of case and in plain view of the dash when you start the car and see if it's as unreliable.

18. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I followed the bootleg instructions and got the Sony T608 running on Verizon. You must have the MSL# to make the switch.

19. Mitchla

Mitchla New Member

I finally got my Bluetooth phone (T616) and am loving it. Had a bit of a hard time getting the phone to connect to the Prius -- they saw each other but I kept getting a CONNECTION FAILED warning. It finally went through... although I have no idea why it all of a sudden worked... and now it connects and disconnects well. One thing I noticed in reference to Evann's comments about names in the Phonebook only being 9 characters long. That's true, but I noticed that names I selected in the Phonebook to be One Touch Dialing numbers would display more than 9 characters in the One Touch Dialing window.