1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to view EGR data in techstream?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Matt98svt, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Matt98svt

Matt98svt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Just recently cleaned my egr, egr cooler, intake manifold etc. Have not had the chance to drive it alot since then but it has been running perfectly and no codes when I have driven it. Before doing the work though I was playing with the scan tool going though the different data streams where you can monitor live data. It has a data stream listed as "commanded EGR" and basically amytime I would step down on the gas pedal it would shoot up and drop back to baseline when you let off the gas pedal. I connected it again tonight and went for a drive, still no issues or error codes but I noticed there was no movement at all from the "commanded egr" live data function as if it was reading 0 voltage change. I came home and made sure the electrical connector was properly snapped on the egr valve and it was. Is there someway I can look at voltage readings of the EGR with techstream? If the egr is not getting power for some reason I would figure it would throw a code.

Skwekel likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are a few ways. The car regularly tests the EGR flow, and you can ask it how the last test turned out any time; you can find the details in this thread. (That's also a good thread for posting what results you get, along with the miles on your car and if the system's been cleaned; helps us gather data on how the flow results change with time.)

You can see lots of examples in that thread of people getting the test results with other scan tools and apps, by the way; Techstream is not the only thing that can do that.

If you have a more immediate "does my EGR even work?" question, and you have Techstream, you can use the Active Tests feature and command a specific EGR step position yourself while the engine is idling and see what happens. There was discussion of that earlier in that same thread, with precautions in this post worth reviewing. If the valve is working and the passages are clean, you'll probably notice roughening of the idle by step 14 or so, and it'll get pretty bad or stall by not many steps above that.

If all you're trying to confirm is that the valve really does move, you don't need to go any further than where you first notice the effect.

Some other scan tools have that active test, too.

Skwekel likes this.