1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How well does the A/C work in AZ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by erikking, May 2, 2006.

1. erikking

erikking New Member

I have a new Prius on order and expect to pick it up in the next few days. Reading some other posts has me a little concerned about the viability of the A/C system running off the batteries in the Phoenix, AZ heat. More specifically, I am concerned about three things:

(1) Will the system keep the car cool when ambient temps here are sometimes as high as 120, and almost always over 110, for several months of the year?

(2) Will the car cool down (from a sitting in the sun state), and then stay cool as well as a traditional (engine powered) system will?

(3) I often need to just sit and "idle" with the A/C and radio on, for up to an hour at a time while I complete paperwork or compute on the road - will this be any problem, or will I run out of battery power while doing so? Also, will running the battery down in this way decrease it's longevity or cause any other harm?

Any and all input will be welcomed and much appreciated!

"At least it's a dry heat <grin>"

2. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(erik king @ May 2 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]248662[/snapback]</div>
    I lived in Phoenix for 9 years. It's like saying "At least it's the dry heaves." :p

I bought my car in AZ, but it was March and it was in the 80's, so I can't attest to the effectiveness of the a/c.

3. Stairman

Stairman New Member

If you want to sit in the car while you make phone calls or do paperwork just put in park and leave it turned on. The AC will run off the battery until the battery gets low, then the ICE will start and charge the battery. It uses some gas, but way better than sitting with the engine idling in another car.

I can't speak to the AC in 120 degree temps. I've only exposed mine to the high 90s or low 100s. I can't remember it not being able to keep up. Park in the shade.

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Car works great up here to the high 90's. I expect you can handle 120 just as well if you add some window tinting.
    I can tell you at 95 degrees the car takes a while to cool, but once stable it can run on a pretty low fan speed, unlike many other cars I've had with AC.

And I have run AC parked no problem, except the mpg heads toward 0.

5. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

You should have no problem. The HV battery charges/discharges are so tightly controlled, with the ICE kicking on to replenish it, that no, you won't experience shorter battery life.

However, if you do have to park NOT in the shade for that long a time @120, your ICE will probably STAY on to KEEP the HV batt charged. It won't be able to "get enough ahead" in charging the HV to "full", then shut itself off while the HV draws down again, repeat, etc.
    At least I don't think so.

But your level of coolness should be sufficient. I'd think you'll come out a little ahead compared to a car with a bigger engine.