1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

howard stern going to satellite, get ready to get that kit.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by m1j1tc0rn, Mar 10, 2004.

1. m1j1tc0rn

m1j1tc0rn New Member

i don't know about this forum's tastes, i have a hunch that most people here don't listen to howard stern, but...

it sounds like he's going to satellite radio, so get ready for a run on the xm kits. :)

-r

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I'd get XM to listen to Howard Stern, but as an aside I mentioned to Coastal Dave how I almost had him bring me a kit to the Orlando Shindig last weekend and he told me he couldn't have done it if I had called him b/c he can't get them. Apparently his supplier is out for some time.

3. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Jon at PriusXM can get them in without delay. Took less than a week for me to get mine. If you haven't put one in yet, then just do it! You'll never go back...

4. Jon

Jon New Member

I have some in stock today and I can usually get one in a day, two days tops.

-Jon

--
    PriusXM
    www.priusxm.com

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    But Stern is going to Sirius, so XM will die.

OK, not *die*, but the loyal fans might move.

Can they both be installed in the same car without hassle? XM people who listen the old-fashioned way may feel annoyed.

Note: I'm not interested in either, but I'll be interested in what happens...

6. Smooth Operator

Re: howard stern going to satellite, get ready to get that k

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(m1j1tc0rn\";p=\"6600)</div>
    You're correct about the satellite radio, but incorrect about the satellite broadcaster.

There is a fair bit of discussion about Stern's move to Sirius satellite radio on www.siriusbackstage.com.

So get ready for a run on Sirius equipment. And hopefully Toyota will start to make 2004 Prius Sirius receivers available. The ICU is ready to accept the Sirius receivers, but apparently the way Toyota designed the computers, has made it difficult to design a Sirius system (or other third party devices) for the 2004 Prius.

7. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

for the $500million they're paying him... will he be talking 24/7? :tongue:

8. frbill

frbill New Member

Sirius is betting the farm on Howard Stern. They only have 600K listeners and will need to get 1.6 mil more to afford that payout of 500 Mil. They may win the gamble but ouch if they don't. XM is doing something Similar with Opie and Anthony. I suspect their sucess or failure may well forecast how well Howard will do.

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

Regardless of competition between Sirius and XM - I think this is beautiful proof that FM is going the way of UHF.

When the biggest name in radio jocks is sick of fines and leaves FM in a few years, They'll have nothing over satellite radio.

I mean, sure, you can still get tv channels for free over air without buying cable or satellite, and in 2 years time, radio will be the same.

I think as far as competition goes though - XM & Sirius will now be pretty much even for subscriptions by the time Howard goes live, as opposed to XM having a giant lead over them. And hey, as a consumer, that means better options they'll have to offer me for competition reasons, and that's definately a plus! :)

-m.

10. scalz

scalz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Stern fan here... and a Mac user, too. So, when I get my Prius, I'll be adding Sirius AND some kind of iPod connector.

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As noted before, I'll pay for anyone's first month who signs up for Sirius through me. Email me for details.

12. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Smooth Operator\";p=\"43792)</div>
    You're correct about the satellite radio, but incorrect about the satellite broadcaster.

There is a fair bit of discussion about Stern's move to Sirius satellite radio on www.siriusbackstage.com.

So get ready for a run on Sirius equipment. And hopefully Toyota will start to make 2004 Prius Sirius receivers available. The ICU is ready to accept the Sirius receivers, but apparently the way Toyota designed the computers, has made it difficult to design a Sirius system (or other third party devices) for the 2004 Prius.[/b][/quote]

Do these 2004 Prius Sirius receivers work through the Nav display or are they Plug & Play only? How about for the 2005's? I have Sirius on my current vehicle and if I do go with a Prius, Sirius is going to have to make its way in there. There's no way I'm going back to FM and XM doesn't interest me. I would much rather have an integrated unit as opposed to something sitting on the dash.

13. sdgeiger

sdgeiger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scalz\";p=\"43873)</div>
    Can you please explain what an iPod connector is and what it would be used for?

I was thinking of getting a PNP and a boombox of some sort so I can listen to Sirius in my office as well.

14. bob@allana-lippert.com

[email protected] New Member

I thought Howard Stern was on Sirius........

15. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

not until January 2006.

16. Smooth Operator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pjo1966\";p=\"43916)</div>
    The Prius audio system has the electronics for Sirius, but Toyota has not made built-in or integrated add-on units available as they have for XM.

I have a posting in the audio section here about a supplier who has a system to integrate Sirius into all Toyotas with the exception of the 04-05 Prius.

I'm using an Audiovox PnP2 with the SIR-CK1 car kit with FM transmitter. I have mounted the car kit using carpet tape, placing it on the "hump" between the front seats. I could post a photo here if anyone is interested.

17. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Smooth Operator\";p=\"51687)</div>
    The Prius audio system has the electronics for Sirius, but Toyota has not made built-in or integrated add-on units available as they have for XM.

I have a posting in the audio section here about a supplier who has a system to integrate Sirius into all Toyotas with the exception of the 04-05 Prius.

I'm using an Audiovox PnP2 with the SIR-CK1 car kit with FM transmitter. I have mounted the car kit using carpet tape, placing it on the "hump" between the front seats. I could post a photo here if anyone is interested.
    [/b][/quote]

a photo would be great...

Thanks.