1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HP259 Tires (NTB house brand - made by Yokohama)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Raymond G, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Raymond G

Raymond G New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just read about 7 million tire threads :D and didn't see one that addessed my concerns, so I'm reluctantly posting about tires as my first post. About a month ago I purchased a 2007 Prius with about 28K (package #5) from the country's largest used car dealer. They slapped 2 brand new tires on the car and left 2 of the original tires on it. The new tires are called HP259, and from my research I've found out that they are budget all-season tires made by Yokohama and sold by NTB as their house brand. The roads were little wet last night and the skid control stepped in as I was coming to a stop. Since that was a little scary I want to replace at least the two old tires with new ones, but I'm thinking perhaps I should replace all 4, even though 2 are brand new. I'm reluctant to do so because of cost and also it seems like throwing out 2 brand new tires seems to defeat the purpose of getting a Prius in the first place!

Assuming I keep the 2 cheap new tires on the car, then I assume I can't get the high-rated Hankook Optimo H727 because they would be a different size from the HP259s, is that correct? I'm thinking of just getting 2 more HP259 tires because the price is right [about $62 per tire at NTB] but I'm a little wary of getting an "off" brand, especially with winter just around the corner. Any input from the forum would be really appreciated.

Raymond G

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One possibility might be for you to buy a set of four winter tires for winter driving, but that would require you to have room to store the unused set of tires when not in use. If that alternative is not feasible due to cost and/or lack of storage room concerns, then it would be reasonable to buy a set of four high-quality all-season tires now, rather than risk your safety to Brand X tires. Good luck with your choice.

3. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If cost is a major concern at least replace the older tires. Tire Rack is a very good resource to use when studying the rapidly changing market.That should help some. Also plan to drive a little more cautiously in wet conditions. A few dollars can be saved when purchasing there but most dealers now days seem to be cutting their tire prices while inflating the installation and balancing cost which seem to run around $35 to $50 per tire. That reduces the bargain that mail order tires used to represent.
    You can find excellent tires for your Prius but I'm not sure you can get an excellent or even significantly improved performance with only replacing 2 tires. Besides , most of the "highly" rated tires seem to cost nearly twice your $62 price at NTB.
    FWIW I just purchased 4 Bridgestone Ecopias and I'm very pleased.
    The tires were less than $100 each but I spent over $140 for their installation :(

4. davidj08

davidj08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any input from the forum would be really appreciated.

Raymond G

It appears these 259's are Yokohama made, have an H speed rationg (130 mph) and have UTQG ratings of A for traction, A for temp, and 320 for treadwear. To me, all these facts are good except that last one of 320. In today's market that's an abysmal # for a general use passenger car tire. Having said that, I see two options: (1) Buy 4 new ones and trade the 259's in. You'll get something for them. (2) Buy 2 new 259's and plan on getting only 25k miles out of the tires. Good luck to you.

5. Raymond G

Raymond G New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to NTB this afternoon to try and find out more info about the HP259 tires. I figured they would tell me what a "great value" they were and give me some reassurance that this was a fine tire for my vehilcle. Imagine my surprise when the salesman said "We see 'em come up on our computer but we don't know anything about them either." He said that all he knew was that they were the "lowest" class of tires they sold. In that case, I'm sure not getting 2 more of them! Unfortunately right now I can't afford to replace them but I will replace the two worn Goodyear Integrity tires with something along the lines of the Michelin X at Costco, and then eventually buy 2 more Michelins to replace the HP259s when they wear out in about 20K more miles or so (or if they start to cause significant traction problems once winter hits, whichever comes first). Thanks for the prompt responses to my original post! I'm looking forward to participating in these forums, as I've already learned so much about my new (to me) Prius just from lurking over the past few weeks.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems like a cost-effective solution. I suggest you put the two Michelin X tires on the rear axle, so that the NTB tires on the front axle will wear out first.

7. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have Michelin X tires Michelin X tires on my 2008 and really like them.
    But, I fear you may induce handling problems with mismatched tires. First try the Michelin's on the rear. you may need to reduce the air pressure on the front tires if you have excessive under steer. The Michelin X's on the front with your no-name tires on the rear might cause drastic over steer. Which could be dangerous for high speed driving.

8. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was in a similar situation with a new-to-me '06 Prius with nearly worn out Goodyear Integrity tires. I put up with them for about a year and then started noticing that I was losing traction on wet roads. I bought four Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds (P195/60R-15 87H and they are much better, with great traction. It was somewhat expensive ($570 for all four installed), but I would do it again. :)

9. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good point Patrick. I think having your weakest performing tires on the front also will give you earlier feedback on traction and thus perhaps help prevent loss of control.