1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HSD/Toyota Dominates Int'l Engine of the Year Awards

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, May 26, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Press Release From Toyota

Toyota Prius Hybrid Synergy Drive System Dominates 2004 International Engine of the Year Awards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

05/26/2004 Stuttgart, Germany

Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive Takes Top Honors In Four Categories:
    - International Engine of the Year 2004
    - Best New Engine
    - Best Fuel Economy
    - Best Engine 1.4-liter to 1.8-liter

The Toyota Prius' Hybrid Synergy Drive powertrain took first place in four categories, including the top honor of "International Engine of the Year 2004," at a ceremony held here today at Engine Expo 2004. By taking four awards, Prius Hybrid Synergy Drive has won more trophies in one year than any other engine in the Awards' history.

After dominating three of 11 sub-categories, Hybrid Synergy Drive faced off against winners in the remaining eight segments for the overall title of "International Engine of the Year 2004." Hybrid Synergy Drive captured the grand prize with the highest score ever recorded in the history of the competition.

"The dominance of the Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive System in such a prestigious international competition is further evidence that hybrid vehicles are being accepted worldwide into the mainstream consumer mindset," said Jim Press, executive vice president and COO, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. "Prius is just the first step for Hybrid Synergy Drive here in the U.S., as we will continue to integrate hybrid technology into existing models in our vehicle lineup."

Toyota will expand the use of Hybrid Synergy Drive beginning later this year with the launch of the Lexus RX 400h luxury sport utility vehicle (SUV). The RX 400h is based on the current Lexus RX 330 luxury SUV. In 2005, Toyota Division will launch a hybrid version of its popular Highlander mid-sized SUV. Both SUV's will feature Hybrid Synergy Drive powertrains that will deliver a peak output of approximately 270 horsepower - a nearly 20-percent increase over their non-hybrid powertrains. Fuel economy will be significantly better than the EPA average for a four-cylinder compact sedan. Finally, both the RX 400h and Highlander Hybrid will be rated as a Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV), one of the most stringent emissions rating in the industry.

Toyota has sold over 180,000 Prius worldwide since its launch in the Japan market in December 1997. Further, more than 28,000 of the all-new next generation Prius equipped with Hybrid Synergy Drive have been sold worldwide in the first quarter of 2004. With the launch of the Highlander Hybrid, Toyota will become the first brand to offer hybrid technology in both a passenger car and SUV.

Toyota's commitment to the environment through hybrid technology has also been instrumental in the advancements made in its ongoing development of alternative fuel technologies such as hydrogen fuel cells.
    The International Engine of the Year awards have been held since 1999 with the aim of recognizing the best engines in the world currently available in the marketplace. To be eligible for the awards, engines must be available in a mass-produced vehicle that is on sale in more than one country as of May 26, 2004. The awards jury is composed of a panel of 56 renowned automotive journalists from 24 countries around the globe, covering five continents.

The International Engine of the Year honor adds to Prius' recent accolades, which include the 2004 North American Car of the Year, Motor Trend 2004 Car of the Year, and the Society of Automotive Engineer's (SAE) Best Engineered Vehicle for 2004.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

:clap:

Now, that's why I geek out over this car!!!!

BTW, for further details (including comments from the judges and previous winners), check out the International Engine of the Year Awards site.

Note that the engines going into the Honda Insight and the Honda Civic Hybrid also were listed in the Sub 1-litre and 1-litre to 1.4-litre class.

3. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    This is probably the most significant award the Prius has won, since it honors the heart and soul of the car we love. All the 'gadgets' -smart entry, digital display, touch screen, etc. are mostly dress-up items. The amazing Hybrid Synergy Drive is what makes it all so great. Congratulations to all the fantastic engineers at Toyota who brought this to life! :D

4. N9IWP

N9IWP New Member

Whoo Hoo!
    My feeling of pride/happyness is similar to what I felt (feel) when ROTK swept the Oscars...

Brian

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's not often I've made the right choice. I always get in the slowest-moving line, etc. But the revolutionary engine and drivetrain of the Prius was the main reason I prefered it over the HCH, even though I was strongly prejudiced in favor of Honda after 15 years of trouble-free experience with my Civic and the Honda dealership. Not only did I choose the right car this time, but I chose to buy it when the waiting time was only a few months.

The real surprise is that journalists sould have been the ones to make this award, considering how the press has been dumping on hybrids lately.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Yep me too~~!!

Also had a celebration when ROTK went over one billion in ticket sales

7. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

8. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Excellent news which I'm sure my partner will appreciate out in the garage making his bio-diesel. Now....if we can only figure out a way to lower parts and repair costs, we'd really be swimming in wine. I still can't believe I got one (just in time).

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Actually, I don't think the Uber-wealthy lemmings of the world pay much attention to technical awards for the engine.

They're swayed more by style, price, speed, and how many mistresses it can attract.

10. Joel

Joel New Member

"Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle - SULEV"

I'm waiting for "Mega Uber Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle MUSULEV" :p