1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Htbrid vehicle immobilizer system light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by nhalber, May 7, 2005.

1. nhalber

nhalber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have had the car for a few days, but I think for the first time the immobilizer indicator light came on and is blinking with the power off and doors closed.
    I didn't notice this before.
    Any answers? The manual doesn't explain it very well.

Thanks

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Normal.

Power off, open door, light blink. Lock door, close door light steady for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, starts blinking again, alarm armed.

3. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

I have the exact same question. My wife just noticed it today, I've never noticed it (had the car a week). She said one of the door lights was on, so she opened and closed the door and did the same for a couple other doors, and then it came on. The manual is definitely a bit confusing on this, pages 21 and 45- explain the light, but based on the explanation it gives, I'm not sure if the light should remain on, remain on but blink, or only remain on for 30 seconds then go away (unless the anti theft system is activated).

4. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

Thanks Dan Man, I was in the process of saying a search here in the archives revealed the answer but you beat me to it, by minutes. :)

Interestingly, I never noticed this before, it's almost like it just started doing this. However, I'm thinking that because I tend to insert my key anyway (even though I have the smart key), I wouldn't necessarily see the light until I pull the key out and exit the vehicle, and by then my attention is focused outside, not inside. When I return, hitting the unlock button probably ceases the flashing I'm guessing, so that might explain why it "suddenly" started.

5. nhalber

nhalber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks to DanMan32

6. Poppajack747

Poppajack747 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you think that that tiny light, kind of hidden on the dashboard, is seen by potential thieves? Is it really a deterrent? Shouldn't it be more obvious? Has anyone done anything with this?

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I was hoping it would be in a more obvious position

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think it turns off a few minutes after you lock the car. Maybe not. Guess I, like everyone else, don't pay too much attention.

It's on when I leave the car. On when I get in the car. But I don't think it'll blink overnight for ya.

I don't think thieves really look for that stuff anyway. And, it has been said a million times, Prii are not too likely to be stolen anyway.