1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hubcaps

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by impact10, Feb 4, 2011.

1. impact10

impact10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius III, and I find the hubcaps to be very ordinary. I also have a 2006 Sienna, and those hubcaps are downright ugly. So, I added chrome lug nuts, and are using hubcaps from a Camry. Way better look. My question is has anybody found any other Toyota hubcaps that fit the Prius that give it a better look? I prefer to stick with a Toyota hubcap, if possible.

2. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You know the car has rims underneath, pull it out

3. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, I removed my cheapo plastic wheel covers and run with the alloy rims that they covered. I purchased a set of 4 center hole caps on eBay for about $22.00 total (really stupid auction - caps cost $1.95, shipping was $20.00) auction was for 2010 prius center caps.
    I really like the look.

4. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I removed the hub caps and bought 4 - 1.5" electric box knock outs for about $2.00 each at Home Depot, then expanded the tabs to get the proper amount of tension to hold them in. Those have been working without trouble for about a year. They have not rusted, and I have not painted them since about 10' away from the car, they disappear (and the 1 1/2" stamping disappears as well.)

5. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is what they look like with the plastic hub cab removed. No affect on MPG's that I can tell. This photo does not have the center cap, but available at Toyota for a bit more than what previous posters paid.

http://priuschat.com/forums/attachm...-official-2010-prius-owners-pics-dscn1953.jpg

6. impact10

impact10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you all for the info! They are really quite nice, and who would have ever guessed there was anything under there but a black, steel wheel. This does fascinate me - why did Toyota spend the extra money on a nice wheel, and then cover it up? You may say aerodynamics and fuel economy, but it seems like they would have known that before they spent the money on the nice wheel. I would love to know how this came about.

7. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I drove about 6 months before removing, and then compared my MPG's before and after. I didn't see any difference, so if there is a drop in MPG's due to increased drag, it's in the noise.

The only reason I can think for the plastic is that it does help to reduce the amount of road crud reaching the brakes...But maybe the marketing folks at Toyota thought that buyers would prefer the the style with the hub caps? do not know?

8. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have noticed that the plastic wheel covers are much easier to keep clean. With the alloy wheels there is a slight indentation about 1/2" from the outer lip of the rim. I think this is the point of contact for the plastic cover. It catches quite a bit of grime (all for wheels) and each time I wash my car it takes a little extra to clean this out.
    I will live with the extra time to keep the wheels clean - I like the look.

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They realized the Gen3 Model 2,4 and 4 wheels looked better than the Model 5 wheels so decided to fix that by hiding the 2,3 and 4 wheels with some cheesy plastic.

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm doing this mod this weekend in combination with a 5k mile tire rotation. I found them at Lowes for less than half that: .97 cents/ea. I spent more on metallic spray paint! LOL

By "1 1/2 stamping" do you mean the actual numbers "1 1/2" are stamped into the exterior of the knock out? If so, the ones I found at Lowes don't have any.

FWIW

11. jrb451

jrb451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anyone have pics to post of their modifications? The wheels/hub caps, IMHO, have been the least attractive part of the Prius.

12. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Yep, that's exactly what I meant!
    Went back to our local Lowes and they no longer have a spot for the 1 1/2 plugs. Sizes go up to 1 1/4.
    I needed another set for an associate of mine (who truly hates the "cheesy plastic hub caps" on his soon-to-be-picked-up 2010 Prius IV).
    After having no luck at Lowes, I went to Home Despot. They had a whole box of them, all embossed:mad:.
    After some sanding, priming, color coating, clearing and baking:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just finished mine today along with doing a 5K tire rotation. I used rustoleum's silver metallic spray paint mainly because I all ready had it on the shelf. It's not a match but it's in the ball park.

Before:

[​IMG]

After removing the wheel covers and cleaning:

[​IMG]

Electrical knock out caps painted and cleared (unpainted backside shown for comparison) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And center caps installed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. danvee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nice work and a pretty good match, fotomoto.

I'm still trying to find resin/acrylic medallions with the Toyota logo on them. Back in the day (here he goes again :rolleyes:) you used to be able to get them for all of the major auto makers. They were done by accessory companies like CP, Cal Custom, etc and cost about $5/set.
    I guess they became too expensive to produce (due to licensing fees, no doubt).
    I was able to locate a seller in Thailand on ioffer who had them, but haven't heard anything yet.
    It's only been a few days, though.
    Here's a look:

[​IMG]

15. Vee

Vee New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just bought the Toyota Logo caps on Ebay for .01 and 19.95 shipping from China.
    They fit great and look much better than the 1 1/2" knockout plugs from HD I had on previously.

16. Dusty Chips

Dusty Chips New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I kind of like the idea of electric box knockouts being used on a hybrid! ;-)

17. hamil33

hamil33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Am I the only one having trouble removing the plastic wheel covers? I have my caps (Ace Hardware) painted and ready to go---but I cannot get a firm grip on the plastic covers. I know you just "yank and they come right off". Well on my 2011 Four there are no good "yanking" handholds.

18. danvee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Hamil,

I've found that, getting fingers of one hand behind the cover (through the opening), then the other hand behind the next cover's opening, a sharp tug works.
    I just took a set off a brand new (127 miles) 2011 Prius IV (4) using this method.
    Note: brace yourself well (or have somebody stand behind you) when doing this as there's a chance you'll end up flat on your butt when the cover releases.:eek:

19. hamil33

hamil33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Found the secret. Just "yank" on one side of the cover. I was trying to pull both sides at the same time so as not to put too much force on the plastic.

20. itssunnyv

itssunnyv New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is also a little notch where a flathead screwdriver fits on the outside edge of the wheel cover. A flat head plus a gentle pull gets the wheel covers off easily.