1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HUD question

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by drajkuma, Oct 13, 2016.

1. drajkuma

drajkuma Need More Input

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recently bought a 2016 Prius 4 with the Technology package. As such, I have configured the HUD to display the Eco display alongside the speedometer. But, the Speed Limit sign pops up annoyingly just as I'm accelerating and sticks around for quite a while preventing me from checking the Eco display and seeing if I'm actually driving efficiently. Now, normally, I wouldn't quib too much about this, but the Speed Limit sign displays inaccurate and obsolete limits and is pretty much useless. Is there anyway to turn off this from appearing in the HUD but keep the Eco display alongside the speedometer?

I used to have a 2008 Prius, and then a Mercedes E-350 before coming back to this Prius. Boy, am I loving it. Except for this minor nuisance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dan

RCO and robsnyder20 like this.
  2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I searched and searched but could not find out how to do this.

RCO likes this.
  3. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I too am annoyed by this and just left the other 4.2 inch screen up with the eco meter. I also wish I could find a way to turn off the Lane Departure alert unavailable below 32 MPH as well.

RCO likes this.
  4. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Dan, you can either do what robsnyder20 has done and show the eco meter on the MFD screen or you can turn of RSA notification in the vehicle settings menu.
    Speed sign only shows the last sign it read (and it may have missed one) and pops up if you're exceeding the limit according to the speedometer, which is 10% over reading. If you don't want to turn it off you can prevent the sign popping up by either sticking 10% below the speed limit or you can set the speed warning to pop up at a higher level, 1, 3 or 5 mph over are the choices.

#4 kithmo, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  5. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The speed limit is not based on "reading signs" in the US. It is map based and those maps are sometimes wrong.

RCO likes this.
  6. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure about that? My HUD speed limit pops up EVERY time I pass a different speed limit sign, not when I turn onto a new street.

7. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. I'm sure. In Europe the sign reading technology is used- but not here.

RCO and 'LectroFuel like this.
  8. drajkuma

drajkuma Need More Input

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm rarely over the speed limit. In fact, this happens as I'm just turning into a street from a dead stop. I couldn't be going 45 mph in a few seconds as I'm accelerating very gently. I could have it on the MFD, but I have the energy monitor display there to see if I'm doing the glide correctly. I've also turned off the notifications, I think, but it still pops up. I might have to keep fiddling with the settings to see if I missed something.

My config currently is the Eco-Display on the HUD, the energy monitor on the MFD and the split window on the main display by the radio showing Audio, Contacts and Map. But then again, I've had the car for just 2 weeks, so I might not have found the ideal setup yet

Also, the speed limits are definitely not camera based. The street where I live on is 35 mph, but it pops up as 45 mph. I have to drive well past a mile to get to the first section where its 45mph. In fact, I've seen it pop up when there is no speed limit sign in sight.

krmcg likes this.
  9. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    The RSA shows the speed limit sign in white when it reads a new limit sign or in red if you're over the limit (of the last sign it read).
    The true limit for the area is shown on the nav display (but it's not always up to date).
    Maybe turning the RSA notifications only turns it off on the MFD and not on the HUD ? I'll have to test that one.

RCO likes this.
  10. drajkuma

drajkuma Need More Input

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think I figured it out. I opened the "Navigation" app, then selected "Options", then Map Information". There is a toggle for the "Speed Limit". When toggled off, the annoying popup on the HUD is gone. I'm happy. Thanks for all the suggestions.

RCO and krmcg like this.