1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hud

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Rest, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My local Toyota dealership tried to tell me the new Prius has a HUD. I looked at it and said, "no it doesn't". He goes on saying it did and that what you see is a reflection from inside the dash. Since the HUD is not available in North America, I knew better. It was clear he didn't get it as I tried to explain to him that this does not make it a Heads UP Display.

Are all Toyota sales people this uneducated about the Prius? You would think with the Internet and forums like this one, these people would learn as much as possible about the products they sell.

2. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, but cut them some slack, they have to know details from Yaris to Sequoia. Most I have talked to at my dealership seem to want to learn about the Prius. Maybe we should hold classes for salespeople!

Lee:cool:

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The MID and speedo on the Prius come close to being a HUD, as they are projected onto the line of sight and at a longer focal distance. However, since you don't look through the MID and speedo, they are not a HUD by definition.

As far as sales mis-information goes, this one was fairly minor. When trying to explain these things to a sales animal, try to remember the old saying: "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and annoys the pig."

Tom

4. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's also not a HUD because you simply do not keep your head up to see the display in the Prius.

I think many sales people were misinformed because the Prius marketing campaign launched very strong a lot before the car was actually arriving in the showrooms... So, most of them were just disconnected and trying to learn, but now I think, they are catching up…

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Depends on your height. It's pretty close to heads-up for me.

Tom

6. Baltechno

Baltechno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All new Prius (2010) delivered in Europe has real HUD. It projects the speed, navigation arrows and hybrid info on the lower part of windscreen. You can adjust the height and brightness of projection. It is the same system as the new Lexus Rx 450h.

Anders
    SWEDEN

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is a real HUD system. Unfortunately we can't get it in the U.S. :mad:

Tom

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it kinda is but yes not the actual HUD projected onto the windshield.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• VFD.jpg
      VFD.jpg
      File size:
      57 KB
      Views:
  9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My last post referred to the European Prius HUD, which is projected onto the windshield.

Tom

10. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I understand but isn't it their job to know the products they sell? If they are popping off wrong information then they are being sloppy and not telling the truth.

11. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It is not even close, what are talking about? A HUD is completely different animal than a reflected gauge that is still in the dash.

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Some of the salespeople are pretty uninformed, the real problem is they don't know how to say "I don't know the answer but I'll try to find out" they just make something up.

Earlier this week I had one give me a test drive in a Prius III and try to tell me it was a Prius V; I had another one tell me that Plasmacluster was the type of display used for the Nav system. If you read the brochure and use this forum you will know more than most of them.

HUD displays are great I wish the Prius had one, at least for speed and mpg. I drove a Corvette with HUD a couple of years ago and fell in love with it.

13. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know all about HUD's, from the military and from my Corvette. I don't understand why the U.S. version of the Prius never gets these great options. We probably buy more Prius vehicles than Japan does.

14. tone_uk

tone_uk Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A HUD is a reflected gauge that is still in the dash, just as you say. The difference, in the case of a real HUD, is that the reflection is done by the windshield or a piece of flat glass behind the windshield. In the case of the Prius MID the reflecting surface is just below the windshield. The effect is very similar, only you don't look through the MID. The rest is quibbling over semantics.

Tom

16. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

For those who wish for the Prius HUD, you might be a *little* disappointed with its optical performance.

Yes, technically it is a HUD and its VERY useful. In a stricter sense, it isn't a true HUD.

Unlike the military versions. images projected onto the windscreen isn't focused to infinity,

You'll find your eyes having to re-focus between reading projected symbols and the outside world.

I think tone_uk's image pretty much illustrates what I am trying to describe.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You are incorrect. With an in dash reflected gauge you have to look down in the same place a regular gauge would be. HUD stands for Heads Up Display, meaning you do not have to look down at the dash to view the information.

18. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My speedometer isn't located anywhere close to where a normal speedometer would be. In the case of my Prius the speedometer is up at my line of sight, just below the windshield. I don't have to look down to see it. Perhaps you are a tall person.

I fully understand your point. I have a fair amount of experience with military HUD systems. With real HUDs you can adjust the height to put the image right in front of your center of view. They are also focused to infinity so that they stay in focus as you look at distant objects.

I am completely aware of the similarities and differences between the Prius MID and a real HUD. Given these similarities and differences, I stand by my original assertion that the MID is similar to a HUD, but not a real HUD. This is my opinion. Your opinion is that the differences outweigh the similarities. Either way, the MID is not a HUD. Either way, it is a quibbling argument. The MID is what it is, and whatever label we wish to use doesn't change the fact that the MID is a mirror reflected display located just below the windshield. This discussion is much like the argument over whether Pluto is a planet. Planet, not a planet - it's still the same hunk of rock.

Tom

19. socalrider

socalrider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think it's a pretty minor distinction... my sales guy told me that EV mode would take me 25 miles. He also told me that winter gray, silver, and blizzard pearl were, respectively, his favorite colors as I vacillated between them throughout last week!

20. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am not quibbling, just stating facts. Yes the systems are similar in that they use a reflecting type of display. Just because the gauge cluster is closer to the bottom windshield line than others are, does not make it a HUD. You said it wasn't a real HUD, this is true because it is not a HUD system at all. Should I call a car a train just because it has wheels?

The bottom line is that the North American Prius does not have a HUD and Salesmen here should not tell customers that it does. That's all I'm saying.