1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Huge backlog at largest Dealer

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by inventor00, Jan 31, 2004.

1. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In trying to get our car- on order since 11/20 at first dealer and many more after that (So Cal, Nothern Cal, Nevada, Oregon, New Mexico, etc), we never "ordered" from the largest volume dealer in the US (those in So California know who- they have their own Starbucks and own AAA onsite).
    Per the Longo salesman yesterday, 4- 6 month wait, $500 deposit, and only 300 already ahead of you. The salesman said they are getting 10-12 per month. Do the math - that means the wait is 30 months long??? Maybe he was wrong in the allocation, and it will probably pick up, but 300 deposits is a lot of money .... $150,000 of deposits....

Looking for Silver, Driftwoord or even Seaside #6 or #8 or maybe even #9 ....located in So Cal.

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Per a recent discussion with my dealer, they have 48 people on their wait list. Since they require a $1,000 deposit, they have $48,000 worth of deposits.......not quite $150,000 but then they aren't even close to being the largest dealer in the Chicago area, let alone the entire country.

Now, my dealer claims a 2 car per month allocation, thus far, which indicates 24 months for the last person on the list. So, similar to Longo, allocations need to pick up dramatically or the folks who are lower on the list are going to be getting 05's..........unless these two dealers are using "voodoo math".

3. halfbreed

halfbreed Junior Member

I heard a radio ad yesterday from
    Putnam Toyota in Burlingame, CA (SF Bay area)
    They said they were taking orders and at the end of the ad
    they said allow 4-10 weeks for delivery.

4. tag

tag Senior Member

I'll bet! 4 weeks if one is willing to pay MSRP + $3000, 10 weeks if one is only willing to pay MSRP + $1000. Of course, for those not willing to pay anything over MSRP, then the wait is the standard 4-6 months. :wink:

Hey, I'm reasonably sure I could have a Silver BC sitting in my driveway within about a week if I were willing to pay $30k for it.

5. Dianne

Dianne New Member

I told you! They get fewer cars a month than we do... and I still have a 217-person list at this time... sad part is, for us, that's a 10 month wait unless Toyota quickly ramps production, but you know what? I have seen carmakers like Ford and Chrysler do that to meet a demand and the cars are lesser quality with the rush-rush thing, so the cure might be worse than the problem itself.