1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Huge Disappointment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cyclesome, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Cyclesome

Cyclesome New Member

I picked up my Salsa 3/31/05 and have run into a major problem today 04/02/05. I live in Western Pa and we received a Spring snowstorn last night and this morning. We have approximately 3 -4 inches of snow. Roads are not plowed and snow is now truning to slush.

Here is the problem. I could not make it up my driveday this afternoon. I live on a hill. I come down a country road make a right and climb up my driveway. The first part of my driveway is through a field, the latter part is through the woods. The distance is approximately 2/10 of a mile. I could not get enough speed to get the gas engine to come on. Is my driving the problem, my tires? What? I love my little Salsa and want this car to work out for me.

Please Help.

'05 Salsa Red Pearl Prius #4 AM 3/31/05

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess you could get a set of winter tyres since the Prius' traction control is very sensitive as it has to protect the electric motor.

3. prius04

prius04 New Member

Package #4 has VSC. VSC just might some day save your life so don't regret getting it. But VSC will also deny power to a wheel that is slipping. This is for the protection of the driver as much as the electric systems. So if the computer says there is not traction, the wheel will not turn, thus no power is needed, thus the ICE does not come on.

In another thread on this a while ago everyone seemed to agree that there should be a turn off switch as apparently some cars with VSC have such a switch for this very reason. However, this could cause the electirc motor to over rev and this may be why we don't have it.

Your problem is not because the gas engine failed to come on. (Of course, I can't say that there is not some special problem with your car, but that is not what I suspect is happening.)

So the solution is to somehow reliably improve traction. Better tires like Tideland suggested -- just for the winter, throwing sand down, or moving to the Bahamas are all possibilities.

But please don't ever regret getting VSC. Everyone should get VSC.

4. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

I'm just going by what I've read here and elsewhere. My car doesn't have VSC and it doesn't snow here, but I think there is a "slip indicator light" and a vsc light on the dashboard which light up if VSC is activated. If you get one of those you know that's the problem, and the solution is better tires. I believe people have had good results with Michelin Hydroedge tires.

5. Cyclesome

Cyclesome New Member

My Slip Indicator light flashed on and off the whole time trying to get up the driveway. I did not see a vsc light. I'll need to read my manuel to see what the vsc light should look like.

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Do you still have less than 500 miles on your car?

Read this thread about exchanging the OEM tires for something better . . . ComforTred? . . . HydroEdge?
    http://priuschat.com/forums/a-new-prius-ow...res-vt6863.html

PriusChatters have commented about a vast improvement in situations like yours.

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You people are confusing VSC and Traction Control!

All Prius models have Traction Control as a standard feature.

VSC - Vehicle Stability Control - is on the AM and BC models only.

Traction Control is what can prevent you (her) from making it up that snowy/icy driveway. On the other hand VSC will (in many situations) prevent her from sliding sideways over the edge of that driveway.

If you hear a chime at the same time the same slip indicator for Traction Control is lit . . . that is what indicates VSC is working. The “VSC†light is a warning of a failure of the VSC system.

8. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wow.....sux to live in Penn......!
    I'd suggest you forget the snow tires and move out west! :mrgreen:

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, SPE is right. The slip indicator is tells you that one (or more) of three things just occurred - ABS, TCS or VSC. If it comes on while accelerating, then it's TCS. If the light is accompanied by a chime, it's VSC. If it comes on under braking, ABS is at work. This is useful since we don't have the pulsating feel and hence won't know when ABS kicked in.

10. bobc

bobc New Member

My vote would be to get snow tires versus upgrades to Hydroedges.

I'm not happy with the 'performance' of my Hydroedges in winter.
    Especially in slushy conditions...

-bob

11. Cyclesome

Cyclesome New Member

Bob,
    How does your Prius perform in the NH winter with snow tires? Will I be better able to travel up snowy inclines.

12. coloradospringsprius

Have you tried backing up? This would improve your traction going up a hill. (The grade would be shifting weight on to your drive wheels instead of off.)

Of course, backing up for 2/10 mile could be a recipe for a stiff neck!

13. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    gas-mileage in reverse is terrible....... :cry:

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cyclesome\";p=\"78083)</div>
    Welcome!

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada and we get "real" winter here too. You've discovered just how sensitive and aggressive the standard Traction Control is! That's to protect the electric motor components of the Hybrid system from damage.

When I still had the "all season" tires on, I tried driving up a snow covered and icy parking ramp at a local mall. My Prius made it around 2 car lengths up before coming to a complete stop. Nobody was behind and I had to reverse down and park on level ground.

I have tried experimenting with the car on an empty and icy parking lot, and can confirm the Traction Control works in Reverse too. So even if you tried backing up, you'd still come to a stop.

It doesn't matter if you floor it or not, or if the gas motor is running or not, once the Traction Control engages you come to a complete stop.

The quickest way to "cure" this problem is to invest in good winter tires on steel rims. Tire Rack usually has good package deals. I'm not sure if PA allows studs or not, if not then get a good studless winter tire like a Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 or the winter tires I have, Dunlop Graspic DS-2.

I recommend steel rims for winter for two reasons: makes changing over a snap, you can swap the tires in less than 20 minutes; and, all the road salt on the highway won't pit your nice aluminum rims.

Some folks claim even the stock Integrity tires are great winter tires. IMHO that isn't possible, especially in temps below 0 F.

Some posts that go into more detail on this:

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/will-i-mak...way-vt5047.html

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/proud-of-m...nce-vt6166.html

Note I provided some URL's on winter road safety in the above link.

Once you drive proper high traction winter tires in winter road conditions you'll wonder why the h*** you risked your life driving on all-season tires.

15. bobc

bobc New Member

What Jayman said...

I just got the car in Jan. and I didn't buy snows for it so, I can't attest to the difference.

But next winter, I'm going with what Jayman said and common sense.

As for PA allowing studded tires, yes. From Nov. 1 to Apr. 15.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/studtire/re...regulations.htm

Cheers,

-bob

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bob:

Then I have to add the factory-studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2 to my personally-tested and approved winter tire list!

I would be running them on my Prius, but my Condo Association prohibits studded tires in the underground parking garage.

They applied a special sealer to the cement floor and are worried that studded tires will damage the sealant. My other option is to park the car on the street - I think not.

Jay

17. babesp

babesp New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    I say Toyota needs to figure out a way to deal with this traction control issue (any techs out there listening? pass it on :). I've been caught on an icy incline - with Nokian snow tires (but no studs) then yesterday in my own driveway in the mud...trying to go slow to not do too much damage to the driveway, traction control kicks in and I have to shift from F to R to F to R etc to get myself moved. This is one of my few complaints with this vehicle. There must be a solution.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think Toyota is worried about the PSD or the MG with such an aggressive and sensitive Traction control. So I personally won't mess around with it.

Once I put on my Dunlop Graspic DS-2 winter tires last winter, I ceased to worry about the snow and ice. I only had a problem getting going at a green light a couple of times, freezing rain had turned to glare ice. Other cars were all but stationary so I can't complain too much.

I still wish I had the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2, as I've always preferred studded tires in winter. Unless my Condo Association changes their mind - unlikely - I'm going to tough it out with the Graspic's.

I haven't tried driving on muddy driveways with my Prius. I suppose I should run out to the hobby farm and see how the Michelin Harmony tires do when they sink in 2 inches. I usually wait until all the frost has gone out as otherwise I leave huge ruts in the driveway.

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Waitaminit: Cyclesome, are you saying that the car could not/did not climb up your driveway? That would be bad, but I'm puzzled by your remark "could not get the gas engine to come on". It's perfectly normal for the gas engine not to run during low-speed movement.

20. Cyclesome

Cyclesome New Member

My Prius just sat there. I had no speed whatsoever. I put her in reverse, went to the bottom of the driveway and tried again. This time I got aproximately 1/4 of the way up my driveway as it slowly spun through the slush before coming to yet another dead stop. The only solution was R the F, R then F as I inched up the driveway.

I should say, in order to get any of my cars up the driveway under these same conditions, I must gun my cars going like a bat out of H***.