1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Huge Suckage...In An Accident With My PRius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LOLGuy, Oct 26, 2005.

1. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On Monday, as Wilma was leaving a mess in South FL, here in the Tampa area we had wind and heavy rain. The wind wasn't bad but on the way to work a sub-division's street sign falls across a major road. The speed limit is 55 and I was traveling about 45MPH as it was dark (7:10AM) and raining hard.

Couldn't avoid the pole (didn't want to end up in the woods), so I held on tight and went over it. It was SOME jolt!

Didn't stop (dark, rain, left cell phone at home), gathered my wits and continued to work (about 5 miles). Car seemed to drive well -- held the line, no tire damage, kept good speed and battery level. The visable damage didn't look too bad -- front left bumper cracked, fog light dead and plastic from the left front wheel well pushed back. Checked on it at lunch and found it had leaked a red liquid.

Since the dealers were closed on Monday for the storm (it was sunny by 11:30AM), AAA picked it up from my office parking garage on Tuesday to bring it to the local Toyota dealer (Kuhn Morgan f/k/a Precision). They do a diagnostic on Tuesday afternoon and this morning and I get a preliminary estimate of $14,000 for repair.

The insurance adjustor from Geico goes to the dealer this afternoon and concurs with the list of damage the dealer's body shop has identified (I'll post it when received) and assures me there will be no problem from Geico in having the car repaired -- done by the dealer with genuine Toyota parts -- as the car is still effectively new (less than 8 mos. old with 8,800 miles).

Current estimated time in the shop is 22 business days. I could cry!

2. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That suuucks!

But $14,000 for repairs? What the heck did you break?!

3. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    wow! what else was damaged for it to cost $14000? i replaced my front bumper cover and it cost around $500 (mostly labor, the bumper itself was around $180 i believe).

4. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

Wow they are replacing half the car huh?

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    $14,000 and 22 days and business days at that??

geeus... that sucks.

6. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I think they have you because you would have to tow it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion. That's why the price is so high.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the damage and repairs needed list will be telling. If you damaged an inverter or something that could certainly be an issue.

Sorry for your misfortune.

8. popoff

popoff New Member

I don't think Geico would pay if the dealer was overly inflating the cost.

Sorry for your misfortune. Are they renting a car for you?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Red liquid eh? Wonder if that's the washer fluid hehe.

Hmm, $14,00 is a lot of damage. I wonder what else was damaged other that those that are visible. Good luck with the repairs! Tell us how it turned out.

10. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the kind words.

It was one of those gas lamp style street lights and I went over the head of the lamp. From what I understand, it acted as sort of a can opener on the underside of the car. I'll post the full damage when I receive the formal estimate. The adjustor stated that he'd informed the dealer to strip down the underside to determine if there is any "non-obvious" damage or anything that might necessitate the car being totalled.

Agreed that if the adjustor felt the estimate was excessive, he'd have requested a second opinion. Being new to the area, I really don't know the dealer well other than that's where my wife has her Sienna serviced and told the adjustor that I'm relying on his local knowledge to ensure things are done in a first class manner.

11. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I just did alot of asking around and investigating online to recently change my auto insurance.... form what I've found.. you are very blessed and fortunate that Geico is not giving you a real hassle!!!
    I"ve heard they are wonderful.. untill they have to pay!.... maybe they are not all that way.... count your blessings! and hope they don't drop you soon.

12. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Man. That's terrible, but on the otherhand it sounds like you're in one piece. So there's that. Cars are a lot cheaper to fix when there's major damage. ;)

Cheers,

Tripp

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A red fluid?

The CVT lubricant is red. Uh-oh.

14. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

14 large? I believe it. My mom got a into a small accident with her '02 Civic about 2 years back, ran 10 large, at Kuhn as well (formerly known as, I forgot..lol). You'll probably end up at the same Kuhn body shop as she did. Took just about a month too, so 22 days sounds right.

To their credit though, the job they did was thoroughly amazing. No way you would ever tell it was in an accident.

Sorry to hear, always sucks, especially with a car so new. :(

15. popoff

popoff New Member

Sounds like the adjuster is trying to do a good job for you.

I would suggest you make sure an experienced body man and a Prius tech look the car over very carefully.

I had a freak accident in a 2000 Audi a few years ago. There was not much visible damage but I sensed there was more than met the eye. The first estimate came in at 6K. I insisted they take a closer look and they upped the estimate to 9K. After they ordered the parts and started working on it, they found major structural damage, and told me they stopped counting at 20K. I got a brand new 2003 Audi out of it for $250 (the deductibile.)

16. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

The coolant could also be easily mistaken for red...

17. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

So sorry to hear of your accident - but at least you are ok. Keep us posted, I'm with Geico too

18. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Using the description you gave of the apparent body damage, and allowing about $7,000 for parts under the approximately 50/50 divison between parts and labor, that's still a lot. Must have gotten into the drivetrain.

The way Jeb, George and Mike passed out money in Fla. two hurricanes ago (having to red-facedly ask people to give some of it back!), maybe you can get FEMA assistance? :eek:

What kind of warranty will Kuhn give you on their work? In a case like this, at least, 30 or 90 days doesn't sound like enough.

19. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

I don't understand why you were going to work at all. I mean, it was a Class 3 hurricane and you knew it was coming ahead of time... many businesses were closed such as the car dealer... it seems inevitable you'd damage your car.

20. slortz

slortz New Member

His job is taking meals to children's orphanage's and helping the Red Cross prepare for disaster relief...ain't that right, LOLGuy? :D