1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hum coming from rear while car is off

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Papito23, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Papito23

Papito23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Walked into my garage where my 2011 Prius (have owned for 11 months, now at ~78K miles) had been sitting for about 4-5 hours after being used for a 4 mile trip. I heard a quite battery hum from the rear for about 1-2 minutes. I've heard this before... (it is not unlike the hum you hear in the front when opening the driver's door after the car has been sitting a bit.... and I've noticed that the duration of this front hum seems to be correlated with the time since last drive?).

No clue what is was... Ideas? Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just an evap emissions test, nothing to see here, move along. kinda freaks you out the first time though, don't it?:p

3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its the little things like this that consistently tell me that Toyota really spends a lot of time on research and development regarding the Prius Hybrid. Ok, so Hyandai and Chrysler are moving in. Hope they pay as much attention to the details!!

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Soon after we got the car I had it jacked up and was taking a look at the underside, hours after driving. The strange noises started up while I was under there, and freaked me RIGHT out, lol.

5. Papito23

Papito23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Weird... ok, thanks guys!

Xterra72 likes this.
  6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The sound you hear when you open the drivers door is the brake system accumulator pump building up pressure getting ready for you to drive.
    The sound you heard after a number of hours (it's in the owners manual) is, as posted above, the system testing for leaks in the evap. system.
    There are many -other- sounds the Prius makes as well. They are listed in the owners manual. Oh, and they are all "normal". ;)

7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The computer for this car is constantly checking the status of the vehicle. So, as an example, if you drive across the desert for 2 hours and stop at a hotel for awhile, the car will continue to monitor itself as it "cools down". Everything that was "on" during the 2 hour trip gets checked by the computer, like the AC pump, evap system, etc. You really did purchase a very complex vehicle. One that is ahead of the game, in my humble opinion.