1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Human race ‘will be extinct within 100 years’, claims leading scientist

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Silver bullit, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting food for thought and discussion:

As the scientist who helped eradicate smallpox he certainly knows a thing or two about extinction.
    And now Professor Frank Fenner, emeritus professor of microbiology at the Australian National University, has predicted that the human race will be extinct within the next 100 years.
    He has claimed that the human race will be unable to survive a population explosion and ‘unbridled consumption.’
    Fenner told The Australian newspaper that ‘homo sapiens will become extinct, perhaps within 100 years.’
    ‘A lot of other animals will, too,’ he added.
    ‘It’s an irreversible situation. I think it’s too late. I try not to express that because people are trying to do something, but they keep putting it off.’

Human race ‘will be extinct within 100 years’, claims leading scientist

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's like I've always said: we're not going to kill the Earth. We could never kill the Earth. We're merely killing ourselves.

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Jurassic Park: "No wonder you're extinct! I'm gonna run you over when I come back down."

The metal dinosaur is more likely to do it.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol, The human race will be extinct in 100 years? Who's gonna know? I know I won't be here. I'd put money on that this guy wants funding to investigate this nonsense.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you mean i can stop taking my medication?:D

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey, then we can stop worrying about pollution and carbon and resource depletion, and just live as high off the hog as we can afford. If there's no hope, we can stop trying. Great! :D :rockon:

1 person likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's it, i'm maxing out all my credit cards and gettin' me on o' them big wheel trucks!

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Makes sense... the 95 year old author of 22 books must really be itching to do some more work!

1 person likes this.
  9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Should we merge this thread with the "Positive" thread?

1 person likes this.
  10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Highly unlikely that Homo sapiens as a species will go extinct; there are too many of us that can survive without modern technology and don't need "civilization". The Khoi and San people as well many South American rainforest tribes are doing quite nicely without our modern trappings. Then again, if we destroy ALL resources needed for human survival then who knows what will happen. I'll put the blame on greed and the desire for power and material wealth. lol

11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

If you die in debt, you're up :D

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The problem is that greed powers the will to survive. It's the individual with the most greed that lives long enough to reproduce. The fittest would not survive without enough greed to compete fiercely. Thus greed is bred into our genes. The paradox is that the same trait that drove evolution and brought us where we are will drive us over the edge and destroy civilization. Those few who remain will collapse back into the stone age, and I, for one, do not want to live under stone age conditions.

A big unknown is whether the economic collapse that results from resource depletion will lead to nuclear war. The resultant radiation could exterminate humankind, along with perhaps 97% of all species. If somehow the mass starvation and resultant wars do not lead to the unleashing of the nukes, then pre-industrial tribes may survive.

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think it will take a 100 years... that is far to optimistic.

14. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree. And the U.S. is largely at fault for not taking the leadership role it has assumed in the world. A big failure of our politicians and our media--so far.

I think this scientist reflects the pessimism that is increasing about mankind's future.

Isn't it time religious leaders spoke out? If they don't, they just show they are part of the problem.

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A lot of religious leaders WANT the end of the world. At least the fundies do. The mainstream religious leaders don't seem to care much. They figure god will do whatever he feels like doing with the world. The pope makes a few half-hearted comments about peace and love, but he's more concerned with running his very profitable business of fleecing the flock. There are religious leaders who do speak out about social and environmental issues, but they are mostly on the extreme humanist end of religion. Unitarians and UCC and folks like that. Liberation theologians are concerned about social justice, but they're too busy trying to avoid being assassinated to give a lot of time to defending the environment.

16. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as if the race that invented the Hummer and the KFC Double Down could ever go extinct!

17. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm guessing the author sees the mortuary business as a growth opportunity.

1 person likes this.
  18. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with F8L (somehow it always seems that way). Civilization might collapse but the species would go on, probably at some fraction of the current population. Unless there's some kind of super-virus that is developed or jumps species, but even so, there's usually a few survivors of any plague like that. Even the American chestnut tree and American elm trees have survivors, decades after they were all but eliminated by invasive diseases.

It would take a lot to make us extinct. To turn off the lights in our cities? Not so much.

One interesting scenario: magnetic field seems to be weakening. If we went into one of those periods where the magnetic poles flip, that could cause increased levels of solar radiation which could knock out power grids and satellite service. Without electricity, how would buy our Big Macs and Slurpees? No A/C to deal with the global warming, and people would get real grumpy real fast. But it's okay because without GPS they couldn't find their way home anyway. :eek:

Or you could go with the more mundane peak oil scenario and people who don't know how to do manual labor for food anymore.

1 person likes this.
  19. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Let's just hope a comet hits the earth and gets us there in a hurry so that we don't have to continue this farce of Washington giving a crap and all this blathering between those who believe in climate change and those who don't. For a fictional taste test of what a comet hit might look like, read Lucifer's Hammer. I just discovered this gem while on vacation. Although written in the 1970's, it's quite poignant and written in the 'flavor' of a Michael Crichton novel. Never mind the electricity going out. How about the loss of all travel, all fuel, all transportation, all electricity, all bridges, all dams, all factories, all stores, etc. etc. etc.

Sure, if we head down the road of calamity, some will survive. And after they survive whatever the initial impact is, whether manmade or not, we will have to survive each other. I think that will be the challenge and will be much easier said than done.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh! oh! the sky is falling! the sky is falling!:rolleyes: