1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Human Shields - Where are they when you need them?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Oct 8, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I cant help but recall the people here and in other Western Democracies lining up to be "human shields" prior to the Iraq War and other potential military acts by our country and our allies against governments run by dictators etc.

Now that we are all witnesses to the sponataneous and magnificent attempt of citizens in Burma to bring democracy there -- and the response of the government to this rearing of democracies head --- where are all the human shields?

Scores of Americans volunteered to protect Saddams installations and other facilities - where are they now that the people of Burma need them?

Why do you think this is happening? Where is Sean Penn and the other Hollywood types when they are really needed?

Just wondering.

2. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 8 2007, 08:44 AM) [snapback]522676[/snapback]</div>
    Your analogy, as usual, is off point. When an indigenous rebellion occured against Saddam after Gulf war 1, our country stood by and did nothing while he massacred those who rebelled.

The "human sheild" protesters were trying to stop our later disastrous invasion--an invasion that occurred long after any hint of indigenous rebellion had quelled, when the local populace had learned to not trust us. They were correct in their mistrust, as we had no plan for the aftermath, mostly clearly demonstrated when we allowed their Musuem to be looted.

The analogy is also wrong in that there is no danger of us invading Burma at the moment. The country is not known for its vast oil reserves. ;)

Protests against the Burmese regime have been loud in countries other than the us.
    Protesters march in global protest against Myanmar junta, which detained hundreds of monks

Oh, and there are plenty of "hollywood" types trying to rally support against the regime.

If you are genuinely interested in Burma, you can read plenty of reporting on it off the Burma Newsladder.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Oct 8 2007, 11:25 AM) [snapback]522717[/snapback]</div>
    so what you are saying is that we should invade Burma?

4. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 8 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]522719[/snapback]</div>
    Where in my post did I say that? All I said is that your analogy is nonsense.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Oct 8 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]522721[/snapback]</div>
    Just possible a bad analogy - there could never be human shields in burma because they would just kill them first - do you think Ghandi would have been possible if it were the Soviets or Chinese instead of the Brits holding the reigns of power?

The question is - do you think we should invade Burma to secure their democracy or should we let the military dictatorship continue its reign?

6. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I suppose if a hammer is the only tool in your toolbox, then that is what you need to use. I would hope that even our country (U.S.) could get beyond that some day.

There are also other examples in addition to Ghandi. The East Germans took to the streets with candles and their non-violent revolution was successful, and the Soviets were involved.

PA P

7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

There is something mightily repugnant about someone who provides the impression he would not stand up with his body for anything/anyone else, but has the energy to speak derisively against people who DO. The attack-dog mentality of someone who hides behind the skirts of safety and comfort, while attacking people who are willing to stand and be counted, is what leads people to condemn all in his class as an utterly worthless waste of matter, not to be taken seriously, nay, to become the attacked.

8. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Oct 8 2007, 12:31 PM) [snapback]522748[/snapback]</div>
    If you were referring to me in your discourse, you may want to re-read my post. I was speaking commendably of Ghandi and of the East Germans who stood up bodily for something they strongly believed in. They certainly weren't hiding behind the skirts of safety and comfort!

PA P

9. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    PA Prius, I'm positive MarinJohn was referring to another poster whom it would be unnecessary, for most of us, to name.

MB

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Oct 8 2007, 08:20 PM) [snapback]522892[/snapback]</div>
    Doh.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA Prius @ Oct 8 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]522771[/snapback]</div>
    MarinJohn was referring to dbermanmd, who has a long history on PriusChat of inventing fables which he presents as if they were arguments. In the above example, dbermanmd implies that the British were somehow humane in their occupation of India, when in fact they were monstrously brutal. Fact has no meaning for him. Many of us just pretty much ignore him, or skim his posts and go on with our lives. But he has managed to irritate some with his nonsense, and they continue to reply to him as though there were some point to it.

Some folks have nicknamed him "doberman," which he finds offensive, though he always plays offensive games with the names of public figures he dislikes. Other folks have questioned whether he is actually who he claims to be, and suggest that the person posting under the name dbermanmd is not actually the medical doctor of that name. Personally, I feel I lack sufficient information to reach a conclusion on that point.

Regardless, MarinJohn was most definitely not refering to you, PA Prius.

12. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Oct 8 2007, 09:25 AM) [snapback]522717[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, Burma has quite a lot of natural resources, including oil and natural gas. The Chinese are building a pipeline so that they can import Burmese oil free of interference. They've also secured rights to Burmese natural gas production. Burma is a lot like Iran. It has loads of resources and wants nuclear weapons. It's a pretty miserable place by all accounts.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 9 2007, 02:27 AM) [snapback]523012[/snapback]</div>
    I would like to thank you for the psychoanalysis and cliff notes version profile of myself - hope is you do something else for a living - without being insulting to you. Too bad you stopped short.

Back to the point of the post - in part - if India were being ruled by the Chinese or Stalin Soviets Ghandi would have been shot on sight and never had the chance to make a "name" for himself. I am not sure where I said that the Brits were benevolent rulers of India.

I was also intimating that human shields seem to have an interesting operating system - i was wondering why they are not front and center in Burma - up close and personal with the people fighting for democracy - perhaps because the people on the other side of this battle tend to shoot first and then ask questions??? not too much TV coverage of the probable slaughter of thousands of innocent democracy seeking people in Burma - huh? Undoubtedly our human shields are planning their trip to Iran as we speak to "protect" the rights of the Iranians to build nuclear weapons as we discuss this.

And where is the world when people are fighting and dying for democracy - this time in Burma? Not a lot of news coverage - not a lot of anything here - why?

14. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What the thread may be asking is:

Why are people willing to go and be human shields to stop the U.S. from doing something but why are those people not willing to try and stop OTHER governments from doing something?

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Oct 9 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]523171[/snapback]</div>
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Also shows how democracies and free countries handle issues vs. their counterparts. The irony is that the people who are actively campaigning against us and other democracies risk getting what they wish for - and their new "rulers" will not be nearly as kind to them as we are. the rot from within threatens all.

16. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 9 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]523187[/snapback]</div>
    who was it said, "give peace a chance"...guess he was a neo communist also. oh but then our so called enemies wouldnt fear us as you mention in another post...stop preaching hate and fear and get on board with love and peace. what kind of car do you drive, thought i'd ask since this is a car chat site, and why do you post all this negative crap?

17. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Burmese protesters are in fact acting as human sheilds. Responding non-violently to violent suppression. Protesting the actions of their own government.

Traveling to Burma only provides the regime with more money, which is part of the reason Aung San Suu Kyi has pleaded that Westerners boycott Burma as a travel spot.

The "Hollywood" set that y'all are decrying have been ahead of the curve on Burma. See
    Stars urge U.N.'s Ban to help Myanmar's Suu Kyi or Jim Carrey call to action on Burma
    or I'm not going to Burma Boycott

And as Tripp points out correctly above, change in Burma is going to come through pressure on China.
    China Voices Opposition to UN Sanctions Against Burma

18. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Oct 9 2007, 02:15 PM) [snapback]523198[/snapback]</div>
    i dont preach hate. if that is what you perceive it as - that is your problem. perhaps that is part of the problem.

lets see the give peace a chance recent happenings:

1. israel gives back southern lebanon for peace - hezbollah attacks israel
    2. israel gives back the gaza strip for peace - hamas launches thousands of rockets into israel.

this is not negative stuff - just interesting observations about neo-communists[liberal democrats]

again, where are those protesters for democracy in Burma - all those human shields - you know, those people who will be lining up to protect irans nuclear facilities any month now...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Oct 9 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]523223[/snapback]</div>
    I think it holds the Palestinians/terrorists in the bad light personally. It also serves a point - if you want to put yourself in a position to get shot at - do so at your own risk. In the middle east - the palestinians and there ilk are very good at hiding and fighting and shielding themselves from harms risk by the use of innocent civilians - real men fight face to face - Palestinians fight from behind the skirts of women and behind children. in fact they are so cowardly they target public buses and pizzarias and night clubs - real men aren't they. You support how they fight? firing rockets into israel from populated areas in gaza and the west bank.

again - where are those western peace activists now that they are needed in burma???????

20. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 9 2007, 02:19 PM) [snapback]523230[/snapback]</div>
    Dr. B, you are the sole voice anywhere calling for western peace activisits in Burma. The Burmese monks who are protesting are not calling for this. Nobel Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi is not calling for this. Western travel to Burma puts western dollars in the hands of the military. And what westerner will have better peace credentials than a Buddhist monk? Aung San Suu Kyi and Burmese rights organizations are calling for us to mount protests, to write letters, to pressure our governments to pressure Burma. They also encourage people to help at Burmese refugee camps in neighboring countries.

But as for human sheilds in Burma ... you've created a straw man, and you're beating it, and it's boring and nonsensical. One may as well call for Tickle-Me-Elmos in Burma. Why are there no Tickle-Me-Elmos in Burma!