1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Humble request: "Like" in Freds House of Politics

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by bwilson4web, Aug 22, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

The "Like" function has always been turned off in Fred's House of Politics since I got access. But I think things have changed. Many of us are posting "++" when someone posts something pithy but this is a waste of the thread. In theory, enough "++" posts and we're looking at threads that span pages.

Let me suggest that at least as an experiment, re-enable the "Likes" feature in Fred's House of Politics. If it is abused, take it away but I think the threads make more sense if we don't have to "++" those who have posted an especially useful or enlightening thread.

I realize some of our partisan posters (not like this Proud Partisan Democrat) could be a little . . . abusive but the "++" posts are a waste.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

skayaks and m.wynn like this.
  2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Bob -

The request is under consideration. I tend to lean against it, but I'll still consider it and talk to the other mods about it.

Danny

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought most in there didn't want to be liked.:cool:

ETC(SS) likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 !!
    (to bisco's comment.)

I don't mind likes when I actually assist somebody with a Prius-like question....or even a non Prius question or comment, but there are too many serial haters that only post in the kiddie pool and haven't ventured out into the real world of Priuses and Prius questions since the G3 was introduced....or even back when we had a POTUS that wore red ties.

In fact......WADR to Bob's request, I would consider actually subtracting a point for every political-only post.

Don't get me wrong.
    I post there often. :)
    I like having a pressure relief valve in this forum, and there should be an adults-only room where you can tell somebody to STFU without incurring the wrath of the mods........but I think that there should be a very wide, very tall, and very thick firewall between FHOP_P and the real world.

JMHO...and you don't have to like it or add a bongo trophy buck to my account.

By the way.....Have you considered an unlike button? :D

BTW 2.0...... How many points do you have to earn to win an all-expenses paid trip to the next PC event or podcast guest shot?

BTW 2.0.1..... Can I give Bob some of my Bongo Bucks?
    He would be an excellent guest host for one of your podcasts, and we already know he's a media diva..... :eek:

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Isn't that the "Ignore User" option? <GRINS>

I'm OK with which ever direction the mods go. Just thought I'd ask.

When I was in the Marines, we had two metrics:
    • Proficiency -> skills
    • Conduct -> not being a jerk
    If you' all ever think about something more tuned:
    • Technical - add one for technical content
    • Friend - add one for friend of the community, helper
    Perhaps at the end of the year, a moderator 'thanks to <username>' with top three in 'Technical' and 'Friend' and a third for the product . . . those who are both skilled and a good community members . . . Congeniality. The reason for three is evident in how many contribute like Patrick Wong, Chapman, Paul, and a long list of others.

Bob Wilson

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you saying that advising everyone with a problem to 'check their 12v battery' is not being helpful?:D

7. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was in the Canoe Club, we had two metrics:
    • Proficiency -> Political agility
    • Conduct -> equal parts: 1. Not getting caught, 2. Political agility
    Fortunately for me, promotions "usually" were strictly based on tests up to E-6 and butt kissing would only get you some extra points towards a multiple AFTER you passed the test. I was an E5 under 2 and an E6 under 5.
    Unfortunately for me I often found that I was being supervised by the rocks with lips that were the exception to "usually" who earned a "meritorious" promotion because he (or she) was unable to pass multiple guess tests. :eek:

As much as I despise labor unions, they do tend to short a lot of political potential to a common ground bus, and they're probably a net benefit to the communications infrastructure that has become so vital in 2015.
    Topside still spends 90-percent of their time on 1-percent of the agitators, and I get to blissfully concentrate on my job with merit-less pay increases.

PC?
    It's not a publicly traded company (yet) and I'm guessing that it's not a union shop either.

I want air-traffic controllers that are unionized.
    PC mods?

.....not so much.
    They're more agile that way. :D

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Marine version:
    • Proficiency:
      • annual rifle range score, two weeks at a rifle range with rifle coach and live ammo; 5 positions with 10 rounds each of .223 and an M-16
      • measured PT test every six months: 2 minutes sit-ups; as many pull-ups, and; timed 3 mile run
    • Conduct:
      • Like yours, don't get caught(*)
    Bob Wilson

* - Without going into all the details, I was once 'caught' by the donkey NCO with a bottle of 'slo gin' celebrating my 22nd birthday, after hours, in the barracks on Okinawa Japan. In one respect, he saved me from drinking any more of that stuff (I'd never had any before but it tastes like cough medicine.) So two days later, I and my buddy go in for office hours. My buddy went in first and I was asked to come in.

Captain,"Did PCF <my buddy> drink any of this Slo Gin?"

Me,"No sir. I offered him some but he said it smelled like cough syrup and wouldn't drink it."​

My buddy got off and it was my turn.

So when I come in all of the senior NCOs where there with the donkey and I swear it looked like everyone was trying not to smile at absurdity . . . except the donkey NCO who seemed a little confused. The Captain gave me a lecture and told me that bottle of Slo Gin was going to cost me an extra $50 and that was it. Of course someone in payroll must have made a mistake as that $50 was never taken out of my pay. . . .

Post-log: About 2-3 months later, the donkey NCO came in with a black eye and bruises. There was a 'ville' outside the gate with a bar, barber, 'hot bath', drug store, bar, tailor shop, e.t.c., and the donkey NCO offended some other Marines and they gave him a beat-down. You know, he was a better NCO there after.

9. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why I always liked Marines so much.
    1. Every Marine's primary job is rifleman.
    2. If you ask a female Marine what her primary job is, you get the same answer.

I got detained one time by some Marines while a brother CPO and I were accompanying an O5 and an O6 on a site survey OUTCONUS that was being guarded by a MARDET.
    Cuffed, stuffed, and locked in a detention room in our handcuffs while they were trying to figure out if we were good to go. (The O6 screwed the pooch on the paperwork, and the Marines were never notified in advance.)
    I laughed it off and my people had big fun at my expense.
    Somebody topside got their BVDs in a bunch and tried to bring some heat down on the MARDET for having the temerity to hassle a gaggle of ossifers and their adult supervision...but they got a very terse response from the local 2-star indicating that his staff got the same treatment.....for the same reason, and that they should have had their turds in one sock.
    The senior Marine at that time and on that base was an O3 Captain who had talent and the respect of his Marines, and is probably wearing Eagles by now.....or a grey suit.

You know what?
    He has to qualify on the range too.
    I like that. ;)
    Marines are binary creatures.
    That's why we squids use them to guard our stuff! :D

#9 ETC(SS), Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015