1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Humble request of older drivers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by clubmedic, May 8, 2005.

1. clubmedic

clubmedic New Member

I humbly request any driver over the age of 70 please submit yourself to a driver's test EVERY year. I know pride prevents people from admitting that they cannot perform tasks that were once easy, but take yourself off the road before you hurt someone!

There, had to vent. Luckily, my reactions and the performance of the Prius (yes, it performs just fine in an emergency, thank you) saved us from serious harm.

An older gentleman turned smack-dab in front of us. Witnesses were amazed that I didn't T-Bone him. A braked, turned with him into the turn, and we grazed. I had my two little girls with me, luckily no one was hurt. The @#$# kept turning, made a U-Turn, and accelerated out of there.

Fortunately, I got his license plate, called 911 (using wireless... ooooohhhh), and they caught him a mile down the road.

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bruce, I see you are 42 and it is my suggestion that everyone over 40 years of age have a drivers test every year. Seriously tho' there are terrible drivers of all ages and many shouldn't even have a licence. Since I done some googling here on the internet after I read your post I cannot find that drivers over 70 cause a disproportionate number of accidents. I understand your being upset with the near disaster and am glad all turned out ok but just because it was caused by an older gentleman does not correlate to bad drivers being those 70 or over.
    What if that driver had been younger and had an artificial limb.............?

3. clubmedic

clubmedic New Member

Oh, then I'd have complained about younger drivers, of course <g>. No, seriously, beyond a certain age (it turns out this guy is 88) you would not allow people to operate fork-lifts, cranes, or any other piece of heavy machinery. A car is no different. Reaction times are slow, vision is poor, peripheral vision is shot... especially if you have a strong prescription. I've voiced this opinion before, so it's not a new idea spawned from an accident that threatened my children. It's an affirmation of an earlier opinion.

4. tag

tag Senior Member

First of all, I'm sorry to hear of this incident and am glad to hear neither you nor your loved ones were injured.

Secondly, I'm going to pass on the age thing as it relates to driving ability. The reason is I know quite a few younger and middle-aged drivers who really have no business being on the road, some because they are serious lacking in driving skills and/or judgment and others because they seem to have no problem driving while under the influence of various intoxicants.

My main point, however, is that an annual driving test will do very little (if anything) to ameliorate the type of situation you encountered. For example, we have an elderly person in our family (and I'm talking mid-90's here) who has a whole host of impairments including, but not limited to, moderate hearing loss, almost zero vision in one eye, poor reflexes, and chronic fatigue.

The foregoing notwithstanding, he has had no problem passing his mandatory annual driving test for the past several years and his insurance company doesn't appear to have any problem renewing his policy every 6 months. Further, for some reason, which will confound me until the day I die, his physicians (including an internist whom he sees on a regular basis and an opthamologist) apparently don't view his persistence in operating a motor vehicle as problematic. Further still, there is absolutely no procedure available to me, personally, to get him off the road; as long as he continues to pass his annual driving test and can obtain insurance, my hands are pretty much tied.

Thus, my suggestion is to write a letter. Clearly, the standards are extremely lax and need to be adjusted. Also, we need some sort of procedure whereby we can inform the Secretary of State, DMV, or other authority, that we believe a family member is unfit to drive. There are simply too many stubborn people behind the wheel, both young, middle-aged, and old, who KNOW they shouldn't be there BUT absolutely refuse to do anything about it.

5. clubmedic

clubmedic New Member

I am stunned that a senior with that many physical limitations could pass the test. I didn't realize they were that easy.

Of course, I should have. I was troubled when I was 16 that the written test could be passed with a score of.. what was it, 80% or something? If a person doesn't know 20% of the rules of the road, that's dozens of ways to cause an accident, injury, or fatality. I thought (even as a 16 year old) that the written test should require a 95% or better to pass. Of course, I was one of those annoying students that got good grades on tests and felt everyone should get A's.... and now I'm a teacher? How did that happen?

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  7. Watts D. Hour

Watts D. Hour New Member

Ageism. There is nothing I could say, CLUBMEDIC, to convince you that you WILL be there. To me it's likely that at 42, you ARE there, and in deep denial. Glad you weren't hurt by that other driver's actions.

Watts D. Hour

8. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clubmedic\";p=\"88000)</div>
    It shouldn't be voluntary, retesting should be mandatory. But the AARP holds too much political power to ever let that happen.

9. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Im 68 yrs old and the only accident i have had is while stopped at a red light a 40 yr punk ran into my rear end while talking on his cell phone. does that mean i should stop driving??????????

10. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(duanerw\";p=\"88028)</div>
    No, unless you can't pass a retest.

11. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    as far as im concerned, everyone, whether they be 16 yrs old, or 116 yrs old should have to have a physical in order to drive...i have to have one to drive an airplane, so therefore, seeing how its much more dangerous driving a car,logic would dictate physicals would be mandatory...

12. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"88015)</div>
    It does........and now IS. :wink:

13. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wb9tyj\";p=\"88031)</div>
    I totally agree.

14. clubmedic

clubmedic New Member

wb9tyj said it very well. I meant the same thing when I compared it to operating a fork lift, a crane, or other heavy machinery. It's a matter of operating a device that has enough kinetic energy to do massive damage, and the operator should be physically able to do so without endangering others. I don't mean to be ageist, I just thought it was common sense that beyond a certain age, the physical abilities of our bodies begin to degrade. Yes, at 42 I'm less apt than I was at 30, I don't deny that. If the average physical abilities were beneath the ability to operate a car at 40, then I'd say yes, test everyone. Common sense, and some testing, should be able to determine when the average human begins to lose the ability to operate a 1-ton piece of machinery safely.

15. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse\";p=\"88022)</div>
    It should and IS, at least in Illinois. Anyone 75 and older MUST take a driving test when his/her license is up for renewal. Those 87 and older must renew their licenses each year while the licenses of those 81-86 are good for two years.

That's not the problem. THE problem is the standards (for boys and girls of ALL ages) are so damned low the testing is pretty much meaningless. To illustrate, I have an aunt with moderate Alzheimer's who had NO PROBLEM passing her driving test......go figure. One day I learned she had a hair appointment at 12:30pm and didn't return home until after 6:00pm........she simply couldn't figure out which way home was. Fortunately, I was able to convince her to give up her car and move to a nice retirement community that has an excellent transportation system for residents. Otherwise, she'd still be on the road trying to figure out how to get back home.

My father is a different story.....attitude there is you'll have to pry my license out of my cold, dead fingers.

16. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag\";p=\"88040)</div>
    It should and IS, at least in Illinois. Anyone 75 and older MUST take a driving test when his/her license is up for renewal. Those 87 and older must renew their licenses each year while the licenses of those 81-86 are good for two years.

That's not the problem. THE problem is the standards (for boys and girls of ALL ages) are so damned low the testing is pretty much meaningless. To illustrate, I have an aunt with moderate Alzheimer's who had NO PROBLEM passing her driving test......go figure. One day I learned she had a hair appointment at 12:30pm and didn't return home until after 6:00pm........she simply couldn't figure out which way home was. Fortunately, I was able to convince her to give up her car and move to a nice retirement community that has an excellent transportation system for residents. Otherwise, she'd still be on the road trying to figure out how to get back home.[/b][/quote]
    I just heard a similar story, a friend's father with Alzheimer's. He self-limited his driving to the very familiar for years because he would routinely forget where he parked the car. But just a few weeks ago, he became completely disoriented at his local grocery store and the people at the store called for an ambulance. The hospital notified DMV and his license has been revoked. Thankfully, neither he nor anyone else was injured as a result.

17. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  18. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck\";p=\"88042)</div>
    Yes, I think these are very helpful...but I think would be much more accurate reflection of age related driving ability issues if the age brackets were adjusted on a "per-capita" basis.

Isn't it logical that there are simply many more licensed drivers between 20 and 24 than there are between 80 and 84? I think the "flattening off" of the chart for all those 85+ demonstrates this. It was also far more common in older generations that women never became licensed drivers, where that is fairly unheard of for younger generations today except perhaps for some people who live in very large metro areas that have good mass transit and little need to drive a car. I think that would clearly demonstrate that, on a percentage basis, older folks are far more likely to cause traffic deaths than even the teenagers.

19. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse\";p=\"88045)</div>
    ...but I think would be much more accurate reflection of age related driving ability issues if the age brackets were adjusted on a "per-capita" basis.

[/b][/quote]

Seems like the DOT agrees. Chart title is "MOTOR VEHICLE DEATHS PER 100,000 PERSONS BY AGE, 2003". It does not appear to support your illogical logic, however.

20. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All this will be moot in the not too distant future when we have grid lock and/or fuel costing $20/gal. :lol: