1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hummer ad bragging that the H3 gets 20 highway mpg!

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Sep 24, 2006.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Sep 24 2006, 05:27 AM) [snapback]324184[/snapback]</div>
    20mpg?? HAHA, it's better than 7 I guess.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Sep 24 2006, 05:27 AM) [snapback]324184[/snapback]</div>
    Do you remember the Canyon Arrow on The Simpsons? It was an obvious take-off on the Hummer. When asked, the driver (an Arnold-like caracter) said: "It gets one highway, zero city." lol! :blink:

Tom

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <strike>Hummer</strike> Canyonaro Theme Song

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive, smells like a steak and seats thirty five.

Canyonaro, Canyonaro,

Well it goes real slow with the hammer down, it's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown.

Canyonaro-whoa, Canyonaro,

Hey, Hey!

(The federal highway commission has ruled the Canyonaro unsafe for highway or city driving.)

Canyonaro.

Twelve yard long, two lanes wide, sixty five tones of American pride.

Canyonaro, Canyonaro,

Top of the line in utility sports, Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts.

Canyonaro, Canyonaro,

She blinds everybody with her super high beams, she's a squirrel squasher, deer smacking, driving machine.

Canyonaro-whoa, Canyonaro.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Give the Prius the cargo capacity, passenger capacity, towing ability, power, and so on of the H3, and how much mileage would it get?

I love my Prius, but I really miss doing the things my SUV could do.

...as a side note, what did you all complain about before the Prius came out. I doubt you only started being so critical of everyone else simply by buying a particular car, so you must have sat around and posted complaints about something. What was it?

6. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And Consumer Reports got 35 MPG overall with the Prius. What gall Toyota has advertising 60/51 MPG.

7. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 25 2006, 08:08 AM) [snapback]324587[/snapback]</div>
    I believed owning a hummer was more of a statement maker, rather than actually using the powers it has. I have never seen a hummer towing anything. I thought it was more like "I have zillion dollars to pay for this vehicle that mimics a piece of war machinary that gives 7 mpg. Forget about the environment. Hey look at me, I can AFFORD a Hummer!".

I understand owning a regular SUV if you have a family or if you like to take it nature hunting.

8. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 25 2006, 08:08 AM) [snapback]324587[/snapback]</div>
    Not a Prius, but Toyota does have something close to it...

Do not confuse the H3 with something more capable. Let's see, 3.5 liter 5 cyl. Probably comparable to an AWD Highlander in terms of room etc. The AWD Highlander with the 3.3 liter engine gets 18 city, 24 highway vs. the 16/20 of the H3. Both are within 5hp/10ft/lbs of torque of each other. And the Highlander seems quite a bit roomier inside if I am reading edmund's specs the right way. The H3 is rated to tow 4500 lbs vs the 3500 lbs for the Highlander, but I doubt that anyone with serious towing to do would choose either vehicle over something with much more torque and a longer wheelbase. I can only assume the h3 loses a lot of mileage due to the brick like aerodynamics. I'd bring up the Hybrid Highlander, but since it's only fwd, probably not a fair comparison.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    What they should do is to not talk about MPG, but instead talk about miles per tank. That way they could have a humongus tank and it would still sound good.

10. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Sep 25 2006, 10:09 AM) [snapback]324638[/snapback]</div>
    Fords running an ad like that for some of their SUVs. 500 miles to a tank of gas!

11. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's easy, lots of things. Reagan, Bush (anyone named Bush...), the Ozone Hole (but that's gone now because Clinton fixed that one), and Global Warming (Hmm, I think Global Warming was Reagan's fault but the Hillary/Gore ticket promises to tax, eh, I mean fix that...).

Rick
    #4 2006 high MPG Global Warmer

12. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Sep 25 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]324594[/snapback]</div>
    I'd heard that due to federal laws, in the U.S., you are not allowed to advertise any specific mileage numbers other than the official EPA mileage results. Otherwise you'd see Hummer commercials that shouted UP TO 100MPG with a little footnote at the bottom explaining it was with the engine off going down a steep hill with the wind behind it :)

I don't get 60/51 either, it's more like 55 in my week to week commute with mixed stop and go and highway, and 48~50 on longer trips, but I've never gotten EPA numbers with anything, and I'm actually getting better mileage than I expected. I have trouble seeing how they got only 35MPG, but I guess anything is possible -- I never broke 50 MPG until I had a few thousand miles on the car, but was always in the mid 40's from day 1. Anyone know more about how they tested it?

13. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Sep 25 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]324685[/snapback]</div>
    You missed my point. The original poster couldn't "believe that the Hummer (GM) guys would have the nerve to advertise that the H3 gets an (EPA rated) 20 mpg on the highway." He went on to site some news article where the H3 got 14 MPG overall.

I was simply wondering (perhaps a bit to subtlety) if the original poster is surprised that Toyota has the nerve to advertise 60/51 MPG when Consumer Reports only got 35 MPG.

Do you not see the double standard in the original poster's outrage? That is what I was pointing out, perhaps too subtlety.

14. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I don't understand why everyone has their panties in such a twist. I haven't owned one car that has gotten the gas mileage listed on the window sticker. It usually 5-10% lower than the listed. Yes the Prius is probably one of the better cars sold in the U.S. as far as gas mileage. The only way the H3 gets 20mpg is down hill with a tail wind with the driver run along side.

15. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Sep 25 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]324703[/snapback]</div>
    I believe Consumer Reports rated the Prius at 44mpg overall.

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the point here is, the equivalent of GM's advertising a Hummer's good MPG would be for Toyota to advertise the Prius' off-road capability.

17. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Sep 25 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]324792[/snapback]</div>
    No, it would be eqivalent to Toyota advertising the Prius as having a lot of cargo room.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First off all, no manufacturer advertises their mileage. They post whatever EPA tells them to post so blame the EPA not the manufacturers.

secondly, I think using the FJ Cruiser is closer than the Highlander. The Highlander was not designed for off-road use (that's what the 4Runner is for)

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Sep 25 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]324703[/snapback]</div>
    The other posters are correct in stating that CR got 44 mpg overall in their tests. I've known about this way before I posted this thread and before I bought a Prius. BTW, I also found that in the November 05 issue of CR, they also got 14 mpg w/the H3.

From what I've read, by law, car manufacturers are only allowed by law to advertise (and state on their window stickers) the mileage from EPA tests. See http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml and http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml if you want a summary of the test procedure.

Consumer Reports and others have done articles and studies about discrepencies between real world mileage figures and those of EPA numbers.

My point was originally that it's laughable that any car company would try to pass off 20 highway MPG on the EPA test as being a GOOD thing. It's a very poor highway number and when searching on fueleconomy.gov, it's worse than every 2007 large sedan, minivan, upscale sedan, family sedan, and all but 10 sports/sporty cars [I counted over 60 in list of sports/sporty cars] while running on gasoline.

I don't have a huge issue w/the discrepency between 20 mpg vs. 14 mpg overall per CR and US News. It's just a point of reference since we know that EPA tests are not particularly accurate when compared to real world numbers.

20. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 25 2006, 08:08 PM) [snapback]324587[/snapback]</div>
    Criticising Republicans, corporate greed, and celebrity worship has always felt good to me.