1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hummer greener than Prius? yeah right.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jamesaspinwall, Apr 13, 2007.

1. jamesaspinwall

jamesaspinwall New Member

I came across an article stating that the Hummer is greener than the Prius. What a hogwash!! So I am posting the counter argument, just in case anyone meets someone with such an argument.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/10/05/oh...reener-a-prius/

Just a teaser paragraph,

CNW Marketing Research Inc. – Study on Hybrid Efficiency
    " This study makes some surprising and uncorroborated claims about the total environmental impact of vehicles over the complete lifecycle (i.e. production – use – recycling)."

Cheers,

James
    :p

2. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Uh dude do a search “hummer vs Prius” or “hummer greener than prius”

Just to let you know people are going to blast you for posting this as it gets posted it seams by every new member.

Other than that
    Welcome jaspinwall tp the place to be for prius owners.

3. Robert Fisher

Robert Fisher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    </span>

Enough said……

4. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fish @ Apr 13 2007, 06:54 PM) [snapback]423011[/snapback]</div>

I don’t think it could have been said better.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oh...dear...god...

6. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    We need a "sticky" for this topic somewhere obvious...

7. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yeah, at this point I think a sticky is in order. This topic or something like it got posted something like 4-5 times this week alone. :eek:

Sometimes it's fun to beat a dead horse though. ;)

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jaspinwall @ Apr 13 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]422989[/snapback]</div>
    Greetings jaspinwall we are a, well how should I put this . . . hmmmm, er... vocal lot? Yeah thats it we here at Priuschat are a rather vocal lot. Welcome and salutations and thanks for the reminder of the Hummer v. Prius debate. Wade right in and once again welcome, might want to pick through some of the forum's first before posting questions and if it's an opinion you desire to express well then go straight to FHoP (Fred's House of Pancakes) and have at it, hope your not thin skinned.

Congrat's on purchasing the Prius, I hope to hear a lot more from you in the future.

Wildkow

p.s. BTW we have a Folding@Home team here that would love to have you join! Just think you can save the enviroment, own a Prius and save lives all at the same time! Please see this Topic for more info . . . http://priuschat.com/Anyone-out-there-Fold...ome-t25462.html

9. Solar Hydro

Solar Hydro New Member

A variation on the theme, in an official brochure for the Jeep Wrangler.

http://www.jeep.co.uk/jeep/pdf/greenjeep.pdf

Remarkable read; it contains a top-100 ranking of 'greenest cars'; the Prius is 74th, the Civic Hybrid 73rd.

The main thrust of the argument seems to be 'old-style components made from old materials in old factories makes for greener results'.

Comments are welcome!

Solar Hydro

10. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Solar Hydro @ Apr 15 2007, 08:18 AM) [snapback]423546[/snapback]</div>
    Hi SolarHydro,

Ha, NOW we know who paid CNW Research to come up with that crap!

11. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ Apr 14 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]423360[/snapback]</div>
    I second that.

I July I'm supposed to give a pro-hybrid speech....any ideas how to introduce this into my talk? I'm leaning towards being humorous. If people stopped to think - it is a hoot.

12. jamesaspinwall

jamesaspinwall New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 14 2007, 09:31 PM) [snapback]423437[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry if I kicked the wasp nest. As you mentioned, I am new member and very excited and proud owner of a Prius.
    BTW, is there anywhere to see the miles left on the tank. I got spoiled by the Camry's, and my wife is MPG challenged and all the time wants to know if we have enough gas to make it home.
    Thanks for the welcome, and sorry if I ruffled anyone with such a newbie post :-(

James

13. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not a problem James. As you can tell, we LOVE to moan about that article rising from the dead every 5th hour of every day.

Regarding your miles-left question, that's also a much-discussed topic. The short answer is, if the gas gauge says you're low, fill up! You can guess, you can calculate, you can pray, or do a rain dance, but nothing will be accurate the way you want it to. The gas gauge really honestly does tell you all you need to know!

14. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In your defense, James, you had a different angle than most that make a reference to this story as one of their first posts. Most seem to be trolls, flame-baiters, or hit-and-run posters. In your case you questioned it and posted a link that presumably refuted it. (I haven't read the linked article yet.) True, you could have searched here to see that it's been discussed ad nauseum -- which is why many of us tire of seeing it repeatedly resurface. But you seem sincere.

Thanks for being so gracious after our venting. And welcome to PriusChat and Prius-dom!

15. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of moron would even believe that a Hummer could do anything greener than a Prius or other Hybrid vehicle? Come on now......

16. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Apr 15 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]423628[/snapback]</div>
    people that want to believe it's true...

Welcome aboard James! I think wildkow put it quite well... we're a vociferous and diverse lot here. While the search feature is not the best, it can be useful. You just have to try a variety of search strings, on occasion, to find what you're looking for.

17. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fish @ Apr 13 2007, 05:54 PM) [snapback]423011[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Similar concept - The Big Lie

18. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not going to add this to my list of newbies who talk about how "Is the Hummer greener than the Prius?", because this one links to a good blog entry explaining why it's bollocks, as opposed to your average probable troll who, as has been pointed out, just links to some clueless reporter spitting out you-know-what.

19. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 16 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]424011[/snapback]</div>
    I would go a step further and just boot the idiots who start posts like these...

Dave

20. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Solar Hydro @ Apr 15 2007, 07:18 AM) [snapback]423546[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, this is too much. The auto industry pays this hack at CNW to do a bogus "dust-to-dust" "research" study. Then they use it in their brochures to "prove" that the greenest vehicle you can buy is a Jeep. Sure it is, as long as you order it in "Jeep Green Metallic" :lol:
    As those Guiness beer guys would say, "Brilliant!"