1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hummer: the ideal vehicle in heavy traffic

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jiepsie, Feb 8, 2007.

1. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

Tired of getting stuck in heavy traffic? Forget your Prius, get a Humvee!
    Watch this demo.

PS: did you notice puny sound of the Humvee horn? I guess a Prius and a Hummer do have something in common!

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i kinda like his driving style. See.. hitting the brakes doesn't stop the car behind you. remember that one old guys. ;)

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm be sooo happy to pop out my camera, get a picture of his license plate and cars he rammed, then let the police do the rest. :p

Still think he is a bad a$$?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Feb 8 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]387051[/snapback]</div>
    If I could get away with driving like that around here I WOULD get a Humvee. Of course, then so would everyone else. No wonder Iraqis hate Americans so much. "Freaking American drivers!" :lol: I had to watch it at least a half dozen times. Lots of fun.

6. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK - this must be Iraq and this is one of our fine fighting men. :rolleyes:

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 8 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]387065[/snapback]</div>
    Please tell me you were just joshin'. :huh:

You did read the header, or did you just look for the pretty women walking on the sidewalk? :blink:

Humvee Traffic Driving in Iraq.
    Watch and see how the american soldiers have to drive through Iraqi streets to limit risks of attacks.

8. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Feb 8 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]387090[/snapback]</div>
    A subsequent post of mine acknowledges I jumped to conclusions - you must have posted in a hurry too.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 8 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]387106[/snapback]</div>
    oops! Apparently, once again, I posted in a sloooooow.
    I really should check again if it takes me more than four minutes to post a reply. :unsure: :lol:

10. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 8 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]387087[/snapback]</div>
    From the few comments they make and the silence during most of the ride, gather they were really scared s*tless.

11. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 8 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]387087[/snapback]</div>
    It wouldn't hurt to remember that US military still performs police duties in Iraq. You have no idea about the context of this video. The occupants of the humvee could have been responding to anything, such as a car bombing in a market for instance. For all you know, there could have been a wounded soldier or civilian in the back of that humvee.

If it was a police car, fire engine, or an ambulance with it's siren blaring, would you have the same reaction?

If the occupants of the Humvee were laughing or talking about what they were going to have for lunch, then your disdain would be appropriate. But since you have no idea what the situation was, I think it would make more sense to reserve judgement until you do.

12. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It is still a war zone, thus military vehicles have absolute right of way. Meaning you should pay attention as a driver and get out of their way.

One they are a danger to you as a driver since they can be attacked and you will get caught in the crossfire. Another is that if they stop for you it makes them an easy target to attack, you can also put a bomb in your car for all they know.

I'm just amazed at the careless ignorance of the drivers and pedestrians in that area. You know the rules and what is going on, yet you walk accross the street without a care in the world. Or drive and don't check your rearview mirror all the time.

It would be nice if they fit a better horn on the HUmvee though.

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Feb 8 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]387051[/snapback]</div>
    I bet the Humvee wouldn't ram a Pinto.

14. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Feb 9 2007, 07:48 AM) [snapback]387388[/snapback]</div>
    While I don't have all the facts, let's assume it was serious and it was responding to a life-threating situation, such as transport of the critically wounded. Why would they have time for the video? :blink:

I'd say most of the troops serve with distinction, but I'm concerned about our projection of "soft power" - i.e. transforming Iraq into a Turkey, Kuwait, etc... is a lot better than Saddam's rule or Islamists.

15. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 9 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]387848[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps because the Video Recorder is hard mounted and runs all the time, so they can analyze exactly what happens if there is an attack, or if someone does claim they did something wrong?

16. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toward the end there are two quotes you can hear.

1. " I may have just saved a life " coming from the driver... or.. that's my guess

2. " look at that guy, picking his nose with no ****ing care in the world" or something along those lines.

17. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 10 2007, 12:56 AM) [snapback]387848[/snapback]</div>
    Did you know that most, if not all, of the police cars in your town have dash mounted video cameras that are recording all the time when the car is on duty?

18. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

Like it was stated, this is a war zone, and obviously an american military vehicle is prone to be attacked. Im so surprised to see people acting like the drive is doing something wrong by having the right away... It's not like he wasnt using the horn.

19. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was no emergency in that video. Those guys are trained to keep moving at all times and at all costs. And they weren't scared shitless, either. They were just concentrating on getting through traffic. That's just the way you drive in Iraq if you want to stay alive. Frankly, I hope they had a good reason for being in that congested of an area, though. That wasn't too bright if there was a better, alternate route they could have taken.

I didn't volunteer to do any driving when I was there, but when I had to, I was told by fellow soldiers that I was good at being fast and aggressive (although I never drove through congested urban areas and didn't have the opportunity to bump anyone out of the way). It was early in the occupation so our HMMWVs weren't armored and we were able to drive a lot faster, too. If we wanted to live, we didn't have much choice. Ironically, I didn't feel like I was driving any differently than the way I drove my 330Ci on US highways.

BTW, the guy in the video looks to be traveling in a solitary HMMWV (or maybe a pair) and it's possible to travel much faster in that kind of a situation. Traveling in a slower moving convoy with heavy vehicles are when most people get killed or wounded by IEDs.