1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Humming/Buzzing when brakes are applied

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KMAN4190, Apr 20, 2013.

1. KMAN4190

KMAN4190 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hello
    My car is approaching 13000 miles and I noticed that while cruising at highway speeds and I let go of the accelerator I hear a humming/ buzzing noise. I know that braking and coasting charge the hybrid battery and assume that's what I am hearing but I never noticed it before and if I did it wasn't as loud. Does anyone else hear that. Do I need to put the radio up ? Lol. Thanks in advance.

2. clgutierrez

clgutierrez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Likely the regenerative hum. Check pressing the brakes just a little bit, it should hum louder (of course when no one behind your car)

Sent ?

3. winnertakesteve

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I just started noticing something similar. It's less of a hum and more of a high pitched noise, in my case, though. It definitely happens whenever I let up on the accelerator. Not braking, and not even taking my foot fully off the pedal and sending the power gauge into the blue, just applying slightly less pressure bringing the green power bar to just above the Eco line.

And while it may or may not be related, I also have started noticing a repetitive squealing noise (as if from spinning wheels) when driving a lower speeds.