1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hunter recovering after being shot by dog

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by FloridaWen, Nov 2, 2007.

1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    DES MOINES, Iowa - A hunter is recovering after he was shot in the leg at close range by his dog, who stepped on his shotgun and tripped the trigger, an official said Tuesday.

James Harris, 37, of Tama, was hit in the calf Saturday, the opening day of pheasant season, said Alan Foster, a spokesman with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

“He had surgery and is doing pretty well,†he said. “He took between 100-120 pellets in about a 4-inch circle to his calf.â€

Harris was listed in good condition Tuesday, officials at University Hospitals in Iowa City said.

Harris was hunting with a group about three miles north of Grinnell. The group shot a bird, and when Harris went to get it, he put his gun on the ground and crossed a fence. As he crossed the fence, his hunting dog stepped on the gun, Foster said.

The gun was about 3 feet away from his leg.

“The muzzle velocity is so great that the pellets don’t have a chance to spread out,†he said.

No one else was hurt, and the dog was not injured.

Foster said no citations have been issued.

2. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Was the dog's name "dick"

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Cheney's breeding?

4. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well that dog's gonna have to be put down... you know once they have a taste for blood, they're hooked! :D Seriously though, it sounds like that hunter did more than one basic safety thing wrong to be in the position to be shot by his own gun.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I do NOT advocate the shooting of hunters. But I am amused when it happens. Doesn't the Bible say, "Who lives by the sword shall die by the sword."? I am reminded of the B. Kliban drawing (which I'd post a scan of, were it not for the copyright) entitled "Never give a gun to ducks," and showing a man gingerly holding out a pistol to a duck.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is why I would never let my dogs handle the firearms. There's no telling what might happen when they get really excited. :lol:

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The dog had to pay a hefty fine as Hunters were out of season.

He also didn't have a valid hunting license at the time.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The OP does not say what kind of a dog it was. If it was a retriever he probably had a pretty good reason for shooting the guy. Retrievers are smart dogs, and gentle by nature. A retriever wouldn't shoot someone just on a whim, the way an unbalanced german shepherd might.

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Frankly, the hunter should have all firearms that he possesses/owns confiscated and not returned until he completes a firearms safety class. Leaving a loaded shotgun out of his control is asking for an accident. There is a reason why you unload your firearm when climbing over a fence for example - IT MIGHT ACCIDENTALLY GET DISCHARGED.... Dumb s**t!!!!

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Nov 5 2007, 10:11 PM) [snapback]535241[/snapback]</div>
    You're assumeing it was an accident the dog shot his master.

It could have been a simple matter of motive and opportunity.

12. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 5 2007, 08:17 PM) [snapback]535277[/snapback]</div>
    And a smart dog deciding to take advantage of an opportunity....

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Nov 5 2007, 11:23 PM) [snapback]535279[/snapback]</div>
    That's why I'm thinking Lab.

I had a pointer. Dumb as a brick.

And apparently it's not all that uncommon.

Dog shoots hunter.

"Alan Foster, a spokesman for the natural resources department, told the AFP news agency that it was not uncommon for hunters to be shot by their dogs.

"I hear about it a couple of times a year," he said. "

Maybe dogs don't like hunting. Maybe they don't like participating in the senseless killing of poor little birds and are providing the birdies a little payback.

Have you ever really watched your dog's face? Have you watched them watching you while you drive? Doesn't it make you want to hide the car keys? (I swear if Caesar had legs long enough to reach the clutch I would have. That dog used to ride with his paw on my hand while I shifted gears.)

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 5 2007, 08:17 PM) [snapback]535277[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 5 2007, 08:33 PM) [snapback]535286[/snapback]</div>
    Like I said above, if it was a Lab, he probably had a good reason.