1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hurricanes getting stronger?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tleonhar, Jul 31, 2005.

1. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ran across This Article on CNN's web site today. It appears that hurricanes are getting stronger as a result of global warming. If this is true we have another reason to promote our Prius'

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well, ever noticed how many more floods and drought reports surfacing? Or is it because we have more coverage haha. But yeah, at least that's what I'm noticing. The Winnipeg floods, Alberta floods etc

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Though I have nothing to back it with, I saw on The Weather Channel that hurricanes seem to be coming in sooner and stronger. They said that traditionally the hurricanes that made landfall were named higher in the alphabet because the earlier ones would die out at sea. But since the hurricanes are getting stronger, even the early ones are starting to make landfall.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    unfortunately, we dont know enough about the Earth's weather patterns, despite that fact that the field is one of the most studied and researched.

just too many variables and not enough real verifiable data to use. sure we have basic weather information going back years, but most models require information that was not gathered until about 150 years ago.

so now we have an equal number of people who can cite increasing incidences of severe weather or previous weather patterns that mirror what we see today.

as far as hurricanes, we think they are hot and heavy now only because the southeastern US had very light hurricane activity until the past few years. but if you go back to the 1960's and the 1930's you see similiar patterns back then.

now, are the naysayers being financed by the oil industry? wouldnt be surprised if they were. with that much money at stake, NOTHING is out of the question.