1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV battery charge adjustments

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tomdeimos, Oct 20, 2005.

1. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I've read about the recalibration where the battery goes up to a really full charge, but have never seen it on my car.

But I have seen two other kinds of recal:

1 Car warm, and driving slow, but suddenly the engine stops shutting off. Battery suddenly keeps charging, and instead of going to the normal 6 bars, it just keeps going up to mid to high 7 bars. It never went to all 8. Then the car would shut off and run on battery again like normal. While in this cycle, even full stops at a traffic light would not shut off engine, and coolant was over 170 degrees F.

2 I went to EV mode as I do regularly going through a McDonalds, before car was warm enough to shut itself off. Battery at 6 bars.

Came out of McDonalds and the engine started before I pushed the button for regular mode. Looked at the display and the battery was at 2 pink bars.

Normally it wouldn't go down more than 1 bar, just sitting in line for breakfast, AC off, and driving like 200 feet.

2. taaustin

taaustin New Member

Scarriest part of that whole statement was the idea of 'regularly going through McDonalds' eeewwwwww.....

:)

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    US patent 6465988 ...
    _H*

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

First off, EV will kick out and ICE start when you get to 2 bars.

But I too have seen the car go to 7 green bars for no apparent reason. I just sit back and enjoy it run at near EV, providing 70+ MPG which often more than surpasses the 40+ MPG it used to get to 7 bars.

5. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Thanks Hobbit. Really interesting. And just like it says, soon after my really low battery it charged up to 7 green bars, when it wouldn't normally. I normally get 7 green only when it gets colder than that day was.

6. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I get eight green bars every day. Is that bad? In my first 1.3 miles of the day I decend about 800 feet.