1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV battery discharges at start up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Don L, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Don L

Don L New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all;
    I have a 2005 with 165K on it. Just within the last 2 weeks, at start up, no matter what level the charge shows on the display, the HV battery will almost fully discharge and then come back up to full charge within a mile of driving. I just replaced the 12V battery thinking this could have been an issue, but it didn't change anything. The car never acted like this since I bought it in 05. When it drops to the discharge level, It running on ICE only, with the typical slower acceleration. Any ideas as to what could be going on?

Thanks, Don

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! usually a sign that your hv battery is going south. how are your mpg's?

3. Don L

Don L New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Steve- That's what I was afraid of, I'll try the test to check it's health. To answer Bisco, notice the MPG starting to slip - in the lower 40's this last week. The week before I didn't pay a lot of attention to it, thinking that the discharge / full charge issue was a fluke.

Don

4. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, that's what my battery was doing before it gave up the ghost. Winter was the final nail in the coffin. Being up there in Wisconsin doesn't help. Ready yourself for a replacement battery.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check out Hybrid Automotive for there Prius battery charger & re conditioner. My 2007 bought new although in good shape and only 90,000 is showing its Hybrid Battery age so I bought the charger version to see how it does. Should have it in a few days. But like Keith says if it hasn't thrown any codes yet it may have some life in it.
    You would buy the charger/conditioner. May get another year or 2 out of it.

jeff652 and bisco like this.
  6. Don L

Don L New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well - I pulled the HV battery, and I'm in the process of rebuilding it. Found 1 bad cell - lower voltage than the rest, and when removed from the pack, the sides were bulged out. Hoping the fix gets me thru part of the summer, then my better half says I can get a 2016 or 2017 new Prius. :)

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

8. Don L

Don L New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello all;
    It's been awhile. I replaced 1 bad cell in the battery, and the car sprang back to life with no issues. Yesterday, I traded in my old friend for a 2016 Prius 3. The technology changes are a little overwhelming. :) Does anyone know where to find info on turning off the backup beeper on a 2016?

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! everything is in the gen 4 forums. if you can't find it, and no one responds here, try posting over there. i know i've seen a number of posts/threads. all the best.(y)