1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery not charging above 58% even with forced charge

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Shezz, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Shezz

Shezz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi

I'm not a tech guy.. but apparently feels like my mechanic is not clear with what the problem is with the car too.

I have a prius gen3 xw30 with 175k kms odo. 2 years ago the car blacked out for no reason when the mechanic diagnosed that the DC/DC convertor or inverter i dont know what exactly it is.. he said has gone faulty and need to be replaced. Anyways it was changed and the car started working fine but after that change the charging and discharging of battery wasn't as it was with the original convertor. Anyways I kept on driving for a month or two and got the error of P0A7F HV battery deterioration .. i was told the battery died and needs to be replaced.
    As i had already wasted quite some bucks on that convertor, i got stubborn on not getting the battery replaced .. bought a bluetooth OBD connector and whenever the error popped out i used to clear it out and dragged the car with lower fuel mileage for an year.
    Atlast 2 days ago i decided to buy a HV battery pack and got it replaced now. (Battery pack was of a wrecked car but in good working condition)

The fuel mileage gone up,
    Car in normal condition, lesser engine turn ONs as with older dead battery.

Now I'm looking at answers to these issues ..

1) the main issue is that the battery does not charge itself to more than 58%.. used this app dr.prius to check health of new installed battery pack and it asks me to force charge by pressing brake and accelerator so the app can test.. the test starts after it charges battery to 60%.. whereas the problem is that battery charge is not going beyond the minimum charge level :(
    Even if i run the car in whatever way the bars on the screen donot go beyond 5.. or 6 rarely.

Ive used this app on my 2007 prius and another friends 2010 .. and it works great!

2) how to check if the dc dc convertor is functioning properly ? Is there any test for that thing too ?

3) it feels to me that the dc/dc convertor thing the mechanic had changed long ago destroyed my original battery and may destroy this newly installed battery too.
    Is it so ?

Kindly help
    Thanx in advance

#1 Shezz, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those measurements on Dr. Prius app always seem wacky... Please post some screenshots of what you're looking at... I use the total voltage in the battery pack to judge how it's doing in Prius app. A normal battery pack is going to be in 220v range.

3. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    he said dr prius works ok on his 2007 & his friends 2010 /

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've no doubt it's working fine... It's that the reading the OP is using are not the ones you need to pay attention to... If we could see a screenshot of Dr. Prius we could look at everything at once and be helpful... The test that Dr. Prius does are very rough estimates and can be easily wrong. You have to watch the data in real time. A video of the screen would actually be better than a photo.

5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is exactly what I see when I put a brand new battery pack or after I've reconditioned a pack... The healthier/newer the pack is, the more steady the bars on the screen.

6. Shezz

Shezz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Ill take a snapshot and then post

7. Shezz

Shezz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I can post the video .. BUT if we leave this dr.prius app .. even then i am unable to force charge the battery to 7ish bars for however long i keep the brake and accelerator pressed .. Max it goes upto is 5 or 6 sometimes.

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well the best way to test this is if you climb up a mountain, once you go back down, as in a long down hill drive will charge up all the bars on the display...

I've never once read on here of someone with the problem of a pack not charging up all the way. If the dash lights come on, then you get warning codes that points to a problem. Or if the gas mileage is bad that would be another symptom of a problem... But if it's just not showing a full charge on the display, that doesn't seem like a problem.

Looking forward to what all the data on your Dr. Prius app says.

9. Shezz

Shezz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

After reading this i have put dr.prius app aside and someone told me to drive the car in powermode to test it. Yesterday i drove the car in power mode and rash :) with hard braking again amd again to charge the battery.
    The bars went up to one less than full and i also turned on that app along to see.. and it showed a raise upto 70% max according to the app ..
    Once done all.. and bars down to 4 or 5 .. i again tried to force charge via brake and accelerator but in vain
    And in normal driving still the bars do not go beyond 5 :/

Sorry still to post a video.
    This snap is when the battery charge was at max after running in power mode for 10mins

Attached Files:

10. Shezz

Shezz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a video..

However i drive the battery percentage according to app or display remains around 50%

Video 1 120sec

Video 2 34sec

11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe the car "knows" it will take forever to fully charge the battery when the car is idle, and doesn't. It's wasting fuel.
    Toyota has done a great job of figuring out the BEST way to manage their hybrid.
    Why not just let the car do what it's designed to do? :)

12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why are you so obsessed with getting the battery 100% charged? It's not going to happy.
    If the car is running correctly, why bother?
    If you're still concerned, invest $700 and get he prolong battery charger/discharge and run it through
    the cycles to refurbish it and give it a full charge?
    Maybe you are putting TOO much faith in an "app"????

Grit likes this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You’re correct asrdogman, if battery pack is at 100% charge your pack is full danger. In fact, the vehicle will disengage HV charging when battery pack is at 80% charge. When SOC is above 60%, you’r beyond the safe zone of charging but going a bit over is fine but discharge or use the charge when you can to be 60% or under.

14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most of the time the highest mine goes is 2 bars shy of the top. But I can easily get it that extra bar.
    And sometimes I can get it so just the 2 "leads" at the top aren't green. Every once in a great great while,
    they turn green too! I didn't think they did, until I saw it. But it's only happened twice, MAYBE three times?
    But it doesn't stay there long.

I don't worry about it much. I rarely go below half on the fuel tank, and try to have at least 3 bars when I
    shut down for the night so I can start in EV mode in the morning or if I'm just moving the car, so the motor
    doesn't start.

15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everything looks great... That state of charge % number is a calculation based on the pack over time and, as always, it's not giving an accurate view of the health of the pack. In the upper left corner, you can see the pack is in the 220v range and individual modules are are near 8v each, which is up above 90% total charge, despite what the wrong number in the upper right corner says. The key number is the blade difference and yours is exceptionally low, which is good... Once that blade difference gets up above 0.4v you'll start throwing warning lights and be dealing with a failing pack. Enjoy your car... There's nothing wrong with it.

16. Shezz

Shezz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a lot everyone

PriusCamper likes this.