1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV battery on the fritz?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by desertrider2215, Mar 15, 2010.

1. desertrider2215

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Saw an earlier thread where someones battery was running low randomly out of nowhere and it ended up being a bad battery or something. I realized that my car's battery level has gone from blue (when parked the car) come back 2 hours later (left no lights, headlights, anything on) and the battery is on one sliver of red. This has happened a few times in the past month.

My car is an 04 with 125,000 miles on it and my mpg has decreased significantly in the past 6 months. Can't seem to get over 34-38 on a tank (usually at 42-47). Called the dealer and they said it sound like it might be going. The batteries are warrantied here to 150,000/10 yrs so it will be replaced for free.

What do you guys think?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If it was a normal car, I would look for current draw when it was off. Something seems to be draining the battery. Corrosion? dead cells? I hope the dealer finds it.

3. desertrider2215

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe both corrosion and dead cells were the cause of the other post I was referring to. I think I'll take it in this week, hopefully its covered!

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Stuff happens. Enjoy the free replacement, it should give you years of perfect service.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How old is your 12v battery? If that needs to be replaced it will be on your dime.

6. desertrider2215

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually got that replaced about a couple weeks ago coincindentally!