1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery replaced before 60k miles?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by VBLguy, Jan 6, 2010.

1. VBLguy

VBLguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new here - but I have a 2006 Prius with 58,000 miles. Yesterday my dashboard erupted in warning lights, to include the ones for the hybrid system. Took it to the dealer and they called me today saying the HV battery is bad and needs to be replaced! I've never had any other repair and only took it in for routine maintenance, oil changes, etc.

Seems to me I should be very suspicious given the failure rate I've heard quoted is less than 1 in 40,000 this early in the car's life.

I'm thinking of asking for the failure codes - what should I look for? Should I trust this diagnosis?

I don't mind getting the replacement since it's under warranty, but still... any ideas?

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree it's highly unlikely, but it could be you're the 1 in 40,000. I can't tell you what codes to look for, but if you get them and post them here, someone undoubtedly can interpret them for you.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure they said the HV battery was bad and not the 12v battery?

4. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't worry about it as long as everything is covered under warranty.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd say, why look a gift horse in the mouth. As you pointed out, you don't have to pay for a repair that would have a retail value of ~$3K+. So where's the problem? Enjoy the fact that your car will have a new battery.

Of my three Toyota hybrids, two have had traction batteries replaced under warranty. I think this is good, not bad.

To promote discussion here, ask for and post the DTC logged by your car (or, it will probably be noted on your repair invoice.)

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

You should really consider buying lottery tickets, Patrick. Normally I would not suggest this, but you have a way of beating the odds. :madgrin: