1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV battery swap

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ronlewis, Aug 2, 2023.

1. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    OK, break from my separate threads on two of my Prii having issues - one with the 3006 and the other with the brake issues. For now, I want to just swap batteries so I have one car running and both problems moved to the other car. Which should be simple, I've swapped batteries several times, but not in a couple of years.

So I get to work and quickly remember how everything comes apart. Get the good battery into the other car, hook it all back up - I'm thinking - and nothing happens. SMH I can mess up the simplest jobs.

The 12v should be good, I disconnected both cars' 12v battery grounds before doing anything. Both cars drove before I started this, they just had error codes. I drove them up the driveway to do this. The car I'm working on lights up the trunk light, and I hear the dinging from the door being open/the keys in the ignition. But, when I turn the key on, the screen is blank, nothing, and the dinging stops, which it should. So some electrical functions are working but not most.

So, I'm thinking the HV battery is not making a connection. I have the orange plug in the back in place and flipped up. There are 4 electrical connectors in the back - 3 on the battery and another on the fan duct right next to that, those are all reconnected. On the front, there are just the two main orange cables. I'm guessing I've done something wrong here.

Of course,they're not reversed onto the wrong terminals, but what's the orange plug on that cover do? Wondering if it's not inserted properly and that somehow cuts the main circuit to the battery.

Is there anything else I'm missing? I do have the rubber hose connected at the other end and all the fan/ductwork back in place. Only other thing I can think of is that the entire battery is not grounding against the frame through the bolts holding it down. Those are all in place and tight.

2. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So, what does this mean - "earth termiinal." It's not mentioned in the battery removal instructions. And in the second picture - "pass the interlock button"?

Some bootleg service manual I got. It doesn't show the orange plug, but I assume it's the "interlock button." What does it do? Is that why I'm not getting any juice up front?

upload_2023-8-2_11-23-12.png

3. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    LOL, this was stupid. I'd just never seen this in all my times of jumping/starting Prii. The 12v was just dead. Not so dead that it would light the trunk lamp brightly, or beep because keys were in the ignition, but dead enough that the instrument panel was just blank.

Since the battery worked fine when I started and drove the car up my driveway, at which point I disconnected the battery, I expected the battery to still be good or, at least, certainly not that dead. Oh well, new lesson learned. Car is running fine. I'm pulling the interior out to swamp in the one from my parts car. This one had a jug of motor oil spill on the back floorboard, so I'm pulling all the carpet out.

Will be getting rid of the parts car soon - please let me send you parts.