1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery Testing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gregr, Mar 10, 2008.

1. gregr

gregr New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I am just looking for answers to how a HV battery can be indemnified and tested for continuity after your Prius has been rear ended, such as mine.
    If anyone has any quick answers, I'll be trying to talk the car insurance guys into insuring me it (the battery) won't become a weight for me to just haul around after they fix the body for 7000.oo Unibody construction so I don't know how protected the battery would be when a 3/4 ton that's 2' above your bumper wipes out your back window etc. This is HAVE A NICE DAY GREG FROM MINNEAPOLIS GOING TO WALSER COLLISION REFERRED BY TOYOTA CITY.....It's a 2002 4 door with a sweet GPS feature

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    moving post for Gregr, see next post.

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you can take the cover off and measure the total voltage and after disconnecting the cells you can take the voltage from the separated cells and see of there is any differentst

that wil give a simple indication of cell damage of there is a cell that got a lot lower voltage then the rest of the cells.

best is to have the Toyota dealer test it for you

you maybe also can get a canbus adapter and some software to find out what the battery controller is telling the prius board computer what the state of the battery is.. maybe even internal Resistance

4. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would not tell anybody to take apart an HV battery unless they have the correct information,tools and training. I have been working on the Prius' sense they 1st came out and I still approach the HV system cautiously. No chance for mistakes here. The dealer should be able to check out the condition of the battery with their TechStream diagnostic tester. It lists each cells resistance and voltage among the other data available. If the hit was hard enough to get close to the battery, a visual inspection may be in order.

5. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    this TechStream diagnostic is connected to the obd2 connector?
    or do you need to take apart the battery pack an measure on the cells

6. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably connected to the ODB2/CAN network. Once your in the CAN, you can get almost anything.

7. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you just plug it into the OBD2 connector. The Techstream is a Panasonic Toughbook laptop/tablet PC setup to be our new diagnostic tester. It can access all the systems on the CAN. By going to the HV Battery section, all the data in the Battery ECU can be viewed.