1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by andyprius, Apr 18, 2007.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just curious if anybody has a schematic of the battery hook-up on a 2005. I have no problems with the car but would like to know the Series/Parallel arrangement. How many modules, output of each models and can the modules be disaasembled into individual cells and replaced. Thanks. Andy.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From Wayne Brown's privatenrg.com site I've pirated a couple pictures to give you an idea...
    [​IMG]

The battery itself...
    [​IMG]

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A single module is 7.2V containing six 1.2V cells.
    http://www.peve.jp/e/hevjyusi.html
    A whole pack is constructed by 28 modules all in series, then the pack becomes 201.6V.

Ken@Japan

4. tlditku

tlditku Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 18 2007, 11:13 PM) [snapback]425774[/snapback]</div>
    Can you post the annotated image in higher resolution so the notes are legible?

5. c4

c4 Active Member

Wayne intentionally downres'ed the image on his site because he was afraid of liability from people duplicating his work and screwing up and destroying their cars, or worse, killing themselves with the extremely high voltage, but there's a Wiki site on plug-in hybrids where the originals are available in hi-res, along with schematics of the required controllers, etc.. I had the link saved on my other computer at work, so I can't post it for you here, but I'm sure if you start at wikipedia.org and search for plug-in hybrids, you'll find the links..

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ Apr 19 2007, 06:43 AM) [snapback]425915[/snapback]</div>
    Thankyou all for information. Andy.

7. mwbueno

mwbueno New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ Apr 19 2007, 06:43 AM) [snapback]425915[/snapback]</div>
    Hi All,

Not only is that image reduced for safety & liability reasons but, it is the hookup I used when testing a certain kind of auxiliary battery in parallel back in the fall of 2003 which was designed to offer a limited maximum amount of Amperage. If you hook up NiMH or Li-Ion batteries & don’t control the maximum amperage with a circuit I do not show in the photo, the Prius will come to a full & complete halt.</span>

In a nutshell, if you have found a good hi-res shot of this photo; please do not hook the negative lead from the extra battery as shown in the photo. If you hook it up like this photo shows and stomp on the accelerator, the Batt ECU will not be monitoring the amperage off the auxiliary battery & will disagree with the Hybrid Vehicle ECU which will throw up a full system shutdown along with all the bells, lights & whistles. Back when I was testing with Lead Acid batteries I purposely limited the max amperage off the Pb-Acid batteries so they would not pass the maximum over-amperage allowed between those two ECUs which compare with one another constantly.

Here is why I used to do this: --- By allowing the Pb-Acid amperage to go around the Batt-ECU, I could constantly allow MG2 to get more amperage than the system Batt ECU thought it was giving & got quite a bit higher MPG. I built a circuit to control this arrangement but, the auxiliary battery's longevity was too short to keep this up because you actually operate the auxiliary through a significantly wider SOC when applied this way.

I finally moved the negative lead of the auxiliary into a position where the Batt ECU was able to monitor all amperage coming off the auxiliary to the main ECU (basically just attaching it to the other side of the negative relay).
    <span style="color:#FF0000">
    PLEASE, ANYONE USING THAT PHOTO; REALLY THINK THIS OUT & KNOW THAT PHOTO IS NOT SHOWING THE NEEDED CIRCUIT WHEN IT COMES TO THE AUXILIARY’S NEGATIVE LEAD HOOKUP.

Unless you have been trained & certified to work with high DC voltages, please don't even think about doing what you see in the photo; it is way too easy to mess up. Please, I will ache forever if I hear someone has gotten hurt trying to copy what I have done.

Best Regards,
    Wayne Brown – http://privatenrg.com