1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV fan question

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PatrickL, Oct 31, 2023.

1. PatrickL

PatrickL New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel really stupid. I just found out about maintenance on the hv fan filter on my 2018 Prius and I'm at 130k miles. It's never been cleaned. I suspect it is pretty dirty. I drive about 80 miles a day, mostly on surface streets, use the car for my profession. I live in San Diego. Weather is nice.

I never ever had the filter blocked with stuff in the back seat, it being in the rear right side seat, nor do I ever have passengers.

I'm wondering if I've hurt my battery. I am replacing the filter tomorrow. I ordered it from Amazon. Is this a good idea? IS this a DIY easy filter replacement, or should I have a dealer do it?

I guess I'm looking for comfort and assurance, though I know I deserve much worse :)

Also, on the battery meter app I was told it is better to have the bars showing in middle, halfway, rather than fully charged or barely charged. Is this right? Also, I'm getting a solid 50mpg, if that is an indication of anything related to the battery, I don't know. Thanks.

2. Doug McC

Doug McC Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The odds of any damage having been done are pretty low considering your description of the environment it has been exposed to. You will know better once you check the condition of the filter in. It is an easy diy job (especially after the first time). Your owners manual shows ho to do it and The Car Care Nut has a video that shows it also.
    The ECU will take care of the hybrid battery much better than any other source so don’t sweat it.
    One more point: DO NOT use compressed air to clean the filter or the fan (as some have advised here). Use a vacuum cleaner for the fan and duct work. Compressed air will blow the dirt in towards the battery which is exactly what you’re trying to avoid. Again, your Owners Manual warns against compressed air too.

PatrickL likes this.
  3. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're probably fine...I've checked ours in the 2017 often and rarely find anything but a little dust and dog hair. You do want to shine a flashlight in there and look at the plastic blades on the blower to ensure they aren't clogged with anything. (Which is also rare.)

PatrickL likes this.