1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Miles estimate after Full tank of gas

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by JamesCSmith, Aug 6, 2012.

1. JamesCSmith

JamesCSmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am curious how much fluctuation there is in the DTE (distance to empty) estimate the Prius gives. When you fill your gas tank what range estimate does your car display? please share you data. Lets see how different it is for people with different driving conditions.

2. JamesCSmith

JamesCSmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here are the range estimates my PiP gave me after my last 3 fill ups:
    459 miles
    455 miles
    450 miles

The estimate seems to be declining over time even though my actual range is much higher. Those estimate were after fill-up numbers 6, 7, 8. I didn't record this info for my first 5 fill ups.

(my actual range has been 521, 512, 565, 604, 684, 503, 340 (didn't let it run down to empty), 475 (no EV on this one tank due to my trip to Vegas)

3. JamesCSmith

JamesCSmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Of course I know the DTE shown by the car is only an estimate. It can’t possibly know exactly how far 8 gallons of gas will take you since it depends on the speed, terrain, AC usage and many other variables. But I am still curious to know how accurate it is and how much it fluctuates over time and how different it is for different drivers.

And yes, this was inspired by similar discussions about what kind of EV range you get from a fully charged battery. I think collecting some data about gas range may help some people understand the EV range display better.

So I really hope some PiP drivers (or even non-PiP) share their DTE data after each fill up.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I normally don't watch DTE in my non-PlugIn except when the tank is getting low, so don't have any full tank estimates to list.

On a day hike outing, crossing Stevens Pass (4000 feet) both ways while testing the 2012 down to the flashing pip for the first time, DTE started out with barely more miles than the expected round trip. An after-hike side trip into Leavenworth for ice cream pushed the total trip distance about fifteen miles over the original DTE.

I monitored the sum of DTE and TripA. If DTE was perfect, this metric would have remained constant. Overall it shrank a bit, no surprise due to the lower FE of the mountain driving (significant B-mode braking loss on descents) compared to previous flatter miles.

During the fuel-guzzling climbs, this sum shrank considerably. After cresting the pass and starting the downhill coasts, it continued shrinking for a few miles until the car was confident the guzzling was done. Then the sum started climbing back up towards (but never reaching) the original sum. DTE itself never ever increased, but always decreased at least 1 mile for every 2 miles driven, even during gasless gliding. I'm expecting PlugIn drivers to see something different.

Had I been alone, or maybe if this wasn't the first low tank test on a new car, I'd have driven all the way home without refueling. The 2010 would have easily made it. But taking Jimbo's advice about minimum acceptable fuel level being a function of who the passengers are, a gallon was added on the way home. The flashing pip eventually went solid and the second pip even returned. But DTE (already close to 0) continued dropping 1 mile for every 2 miles driven, soon reaching 0 despite now having two bars of fuel.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never even looked at my dte. i'll try to remember on my next fillup.

6. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I seem to remember 495, 500. But my last fill up was 930.5 miles and my tank still had 4.2 gallons left.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had 410 this morning and 160 driven in hv so 570, but it's only a guess.