1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Action-Just Say No to the Auto Alliance

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by hb06, Oct 20, 2006.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Online Letter-Yes to Hybrids, No to the Auto Alliance

"The Auto Alliance is the lobbyist group representing most of the major automobile manufacturers. Its stated priorities include blocking any increase in fuel economy standards, and overturning California’s breakthrough global warming regulations on vehicles. Please contact the CEOs of Nissan and Hyundai and let them know that the reputation they are trying to develop with these hybrid vehicles will be severely damaged by associating with the Auto Alliance."

Click on Hybrid Action box for Online Letter:
    http://hybridcenter.org/good-step-or-greenwashing.html

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I actually e mailed Nissan a few months back to tell them that I just departed from purchasing a Nissan for the first time since driving (I've owned three of their vehicles). I cited fuel efficiency and my environmental slant as the reason. I also just signed the e mail to them via your link. Thanks.

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Toyota is a member of the Auto Alliance.

4. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Oct 20 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]335660[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, that is a bummer.

A blog from the hybridblog.org site illustrates just how deceptive the Alliance is:

"Honda (not a member of the Alliance), Toyota and Ford already provide 40%, 50% or greater increases in fuel economy with their hybrid models. Having the Auto Alliance foist hollow hybrid vehicles along side the Prius and the Escape Hybrid is yet another attempt to dilute the hybrid field. Seems like they won’t be satisfied until any car that can power a toaster is considered part of the “hybrid revolution.â€

They are again attempting to confuse the consumer by lauding marginal technology improvements in a limited number of vehicles as “hybridâ€..."

http://hybridblog.typepad.com/my_weblog/20...dsauto_all.html

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HBO6 @ Oct 20 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]335695[/snapback]</div>
    Does any hybrid currently provide a 40% or 50% increase in fuel economy? I thought the upper limit was around 20% right now...

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Oct 20 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]335721[/snapback]</div>
    I would think the Prius and Insight are 50% targets.

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 20 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]335724[/snapback]</div>
    Compared to? There's no conventional models to compare them to, so there's no way to know for sure what kind of efficiency gains are had. I would suspect that the Prius, even without HSD, would probably clock somewehre around 40MPG.

The best way to determine efficiency gains are to look at the Hybrid Camry, Ford Escape, Saturn Vue and Civic. You've got regular and hybrid models available for comparison. They all turn in around a 20% gain.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Oct 20 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]335740[/snapback]</div>
    Vehicle weight, capacity, and performance would do it I would think. How would you compare models made by different manufacturers? Surely it's done all the time and I would think the above metrics would be the most likely ones.